This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Elton John is an icon on all levels. His lyrics have stood the test of time and he remains incredibly popular, including amongst youths with “old souls.” He’s been a ray of sunshine on my winter playlist, and here are six of my favorite Elton John songs to bring comfort and positive, exuberant energy during the cold start of yet another COVID semester. 

I’m Still Standing

Perhaps one of the most inspirational songs of all time, “I’m Still Standing” provides a powerful rebound to adversity with the classic Elton John riffs on a synthesizer. It’s an instant feel-good that reminds us that even when we feel defeated, there’s an element of strength that we won’t be able to see in ourselves (“Looking like a true survivor / Feeling like a little kid”). No line in the song is without a powerful punch of resilience, from the chorus of “And I’m still standing after all this time / Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind” to the venomous bite of “And there’s a cold, lonely light that shines from you / You’ll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use.” It’s humorous and self-aware, as well, seen in lines such as “And did you think this fool could never win? / Well look at me, I’m a-coming back again” and “And if our love was just a circus, you’d be a clown by now.” I highly recommend dancing to this song in the shower after a long, tough day. 

The Bitch Is Back

This song is, quite simply, a jam. Here, John takes comments about his personality and turns them into an anthem for the parts of himself that are dramatic and self-praising. It’s a blast to scream-sing, with notably fun lines like “I can bitch, I can bitch ’cause I’m better than you / It’s the way that I move, the things that I do” and “I entertain by picking brains / Sell my soul by dropping names.” While it’s not as much of a classic feel-good anthem as “I’m Still Standing,” part of the fun of “The Bitch Is Back” is its complete self-recognition of negative traits. John recognizes that people may not like him, but he knows he is talented and has worked incredibly hard to get to this point. 

Song For Guy

For a song with only a handful of words in it, “Song For Guy” has infectious piano motifs that tell a full story and make me want to dance around Buckingham Palace. There’s something deceptively simple about the song at first, but its atmospheric quality continues to mount as the song goes on until it’s almost painful, eventually culminating in Elton John’s promise that “Life isn’t everything.” John composes a powerful memory to the titular Guy and captures the sadness, wistful memories and quiet hope he experiences in this gentle song. 

Philadelphia Freedom

“Philadelphia Freedom” is a delight. It’s gleeful, clever and funny, and absolutely a theme song for anyone who goes to college near Philly. Sure, the song is about tennis legend Billie Jean King, but it’s fun to think about Elton John just writing this perfectly syncopated, rocking song to pay homage to the greatest city in the US. It’s a fabulous soundtrack for those SEPTA rides into the city – there’s no feeling quite like hearing John croon “’Cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia freedom” at the same time that you see the Philadelphia skyline come into view. I have chills just writing this. Go Birds.

Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me

“Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” is painfully honest and wildly emotional. With killer vocals and the magical John instrumentals, the production of this song is remarkable on the technical side. The lyrics are hard-hitting and thought-provoking: “Don’t discard me just because you think I mean you harm / But these cuts I have, oh, they need love to help them heal” makes me feel both frustrated and optimistic, which encapsulates life brilliantly. There’s a reverence in the lyrics, particularly the titular line, that feels like John is letting us listen to a prayer he’s reciting. The George Michael and Elton John duet of the song takes what was already a perfect song and somehow elevates it. 

Honky Cat

John showcases his piano skills in this swinging song that makes me feel like a jazz-loving cat, somehow. “Honky Cat” paints a lively scene with its instrumentals that some artists can’t even showcase in their lyrics. Listening to this song on a nice, cold walk around campus makes me feel cozy and powerful at once, especially as John remarks that “Change is gonna do me good.” “Honky Cat” reminds me to take stressful changes in my life and see the fun that they’ll bring to me. And, truthfully, any song that can make me feel like an anthropomorphic animal is doing a great job capturing a range of emotions.

Grace Curtin

Bryn Mawr '24

Grace is a political science major from Northern Virginia. When not studying, she enjoys bullet journaling, reading, and yoga. She can frequently be found cheering on the Philadelphia Flyers or yelling at the TV while watching "The Bachelor."