5 Podcasts Everyone Should be Listening to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Tired of listening to the same music playlist or just need something new for your Blue Bus or SEPTA ride? Here are five podcasts you might want to add to your listening rotation.

Image courtesy of Unsplash

Who? Weekly

With the speed that the pop culture news cycle runs at these days, it’s hard to keep track of all those strange new (and sometimes old) faces popping up in your social media feeds. You might be going “who?”every time you see them, and that’s why culture writers Bobby Finger and Lindsey Weber created this podcast. Releasing new episodes twice a week, the two hosts discuss “everything you need to know about the celebrities you don’t” and take calls from listeners.

Call Your Girlfriend

The tagline of this podcast is “for long-distance besties everywhere” as the two hosts are LA-dweller Ann Friedman and New Yorker Aminatou Sow. The two talk every week about pop culture and politics, trying to uplift women and their work in all facets of life. They talk about everything from women running for office to menstruation, and from Ivanka Trump to poverty in the US.

Fat Mascara

Two beauty editors, Jennifer Goldstein and Jessica Matlin, talk every week with a guest—like a CEO of a cosmetics company, a celebrity hairstylist or wellness guru—about their work, beauty tips and trends and their favorite products. This podcast provides a wealth of knowledge from industry experts, and everyone from makeup novices to people with ten-step skincare regimens will learn something new.

Get Booked

Not sure what to read next? Want recommendations organized by specific genres or topics? Get Booked is podcast from Book Riot, a website by and for people who love reading and talking about books. The podcast is hosted by Amanda Nelson and Jenn Worthington, who read emails from listeners asking for recommendations for themselves, family and friends. Amanda and Jenn always recommend a few books per email, and they never fail to suggest more under-the-radar reads.

Hysteria

Host Erin Ryan talks every week to a group of ladies on the East and West Coasts about news, politics and culture, usually with a focus on women’s and feminist issues. The conversations are generally about bigger news pieces with fun segments such as This Week in Sorry (public apologies that may or may not be genuine), I’ll Have What She’s Having (recommendations) and Dude You Asked (when men send in questions) mixed in.

Madison Cassidy

Bryn Mawr '19

English major, class of 2019. Avid reader, fan of fluffy animals, devourer of film and television journalism and critique, and often searching for the best cheap eats.
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021