Your First Job Offer… Why Are There So Many Questions!?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Congratulations, you received a job offer! Now what..? Well, you can either accept or decline the offer.

Now you’re probably calculating the odds of the other 24 applications you’ve sent out, thinking “well I’ll get that job that’s in the city, I had a really great interview” or “do I really feel like living at home after college?” or even “what if I don’t get another offer at all?”

These are all questions that race in your mind when receiving that primary job offer. You want to go out and celebrate but then the doubts set in. Then it hits you, am I settling by taking this offer?

But there are a few things you have to discuss before applying for jobs or before accepting a job:

Where do you want to live?

There are so many options when thinking about living arrangements. Do you want roommates? Do you want to stay at home and live with your family?

What is your budget?

This may need to be determined after the offer but you should have a roundabout figure of what you’ll be making at a post college graduate/entry level position in your field. Can you afford to live in the city? Can you afford rent, groceries, going out, transportation, credit cards, student loans and other costs?

How would you get to work?

Costs of transportation can get pretty expensive after a while. If you’re always spending money on the subway it may only be a few dollars a ride but multiplying that by about 250 days… it adds up. Also would you want to drive in rush hour? Would you be willing to carpool?

Where would you meet people?

If you decide against a city, it may be a little harder to meet people around your age. College is the last point where you’ll be amongst other of your age. Are there activities around the area, other than bars, that you’re interested in?

Where do you want to go in your career?

This should be a question you ask in the interview room. Is there any way to move up in the company or will I only be at this position? If you’re an ambitious person, you want to get all the way up to an executive level or the highest level possible. Is this a job where I could demonstrate my leadership abilities?

What are the benefits of the job?

We may not think this is important but come retirement and when your bank account as dwindling down, you’ll be kicking yourself that you didn’t think of these.

Am I getting a 401k? What percentage will the company contribute to this 401k? Will I get dental and medical? Will they pay for continuing education? What about business trips and travel? How many sick days? How many vacation days? Are any of these days paid? Will I have to work holidays? What are the hours like?

This may seem like a lot of questions, but they’re things you need to know!

But just remember, know your worth. We’re all collegiates looking for jobs and we shouldn’t be settling- we’ve worked as hard as anyone else. Hopefully this helps in your job search endeavors!!