You (Probably) Have A Disease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It’s the middle of winter.  You’re forced to wear three layers just to walk to class every day, you haven’t seen the sun in months, the absence of green leaves on trees is starting to annoy you, and to top it all off – the groundhog just saw his shadow AGAIN.  So here’s to another six weeks of winter…

The exhaustion and moodiness that we experience in the winter aren’t just us being girls, in fact, it could be Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as SAD.  So the next time you just feel like napping and watching Netflix on a Friday afternoon, don’t let anyone tell you “you’re just being lame”.

SAD is a type of depression (usually very mild) that occurs in the fall and winter months.  The two most common symptoms are moodiness and a lack of energy.  Sometimes oversleeping and weight gain can even occur.  SAD is caused by low levels in certain neurotransmitters from reduced sunlight.  Because of our gender and location, Bryant females are very apt to getting SAD.

Brighten up, girls!  There are some ways that you can reduce your SAD.  Making your environment sunnier by opening up your windows and curtains in your dorm room.  Try to study and do homework by windows.  If your SAD is severe, you could even try tanning once or twice a month.  The best time to make a lasting impact on your day is early in the morning, so go for a walk around campus and take in some natural light.  Finally, exercise!  Even though it’s the last thing you’ll want to do, head to the gym for a quick workout.  This will boost your neurotransmitter levels and make you feel better.  

Sticking to these strategies and staying positive will help you get through the next six weeks of winter- and remember- Spring Break is right around the corner!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorde…