The WORST Valentine’s Day Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Who likes Valentine’s Day?  Valentine’s Day is hoax. First of all if you’re single it is just another day that emphasizes how single you really are.  If you’re dating someone, you’re expectations are through the roof and you find yourself fantasizing about the perfect date with your boyfriend…. Let’s be real, there shouldn’t just be one day designated to LOVE. If you care about someone you should tell them often and always. If you love Valentine’s Day, please continue to do so because you are a rare bread and I envy you.  If you do NOT love Valentine’s Day, maybe you have a reason like the other girls on Bryant University’s Campus.

Here are our favorite Valentine’s Day experiences which didn’t go so well:

“Freshman year I was placed in a suite with 7 other girls. All of which had boyfriends, and ALL of which received ROSES on Valentine’s Day. I happen to be allergic to roses, and broke out into hives! I had a complete allergic reaction to the roses and have hated Valentine’s Day ever since.”

“Back in 8th grade I got my period…on Valentine’s Day.  Among it being the first day I was, as my mother said, “a beautiful, young woman”, it was also my first Valentine’s Day I could enjoy with someone special!  I had been dating this guy for about two weeks, which in middle school years may as well been 4 and 1/2 years, and he wanted to take me to the movies.  He flowered me with flowers, popcorn, a teddy bear, and a soda for the movie!  When the movie was over, we both stood up, and I walked in front of him as we walked out of the theatre.  As we got out into the sunlight I saw him trying to adjust his eyes while staring at my butt.  I thought he was just checking me out, so I thought it was cute.  A few seconds later, a look of disgust came on his face, and he asked me if I knew there was blood all over my jeans.  I can’t describe the nervousness that swept over my body.  He started laughing and told me I couldn’t sit in his mom’s car.  I just ran away and called my mom to come pick me up.”

“In high school, I was dating my boyfriend of more than a year. On Valentine’s Day it was a snow day and all the roads in my town were closed. We couldn’t hang out and eventually started fighting about it. Before long, our fight escalated and we ended up breaking up then proceeded not to talk the rest of the night.”

“On Valentine’s Day last year, I had big plans with my boyfriend. We had reservations to a great restaurant and a romantic rest of the night. I was getting ready earlier in the day and started feeling really nauseous. I didn’t think I was nervous but tried shaking off the feeling. Before long, I was over the toilet for hours. I ended up getting a 24 hour stomach bug and was in pain for days after.”

“I was out to dinner on Valentine’s Day with my best girl-friends. We decided to go out with just the girls because of our “lack of serious relationships.”  My long-term boyfriend broke up with me just weeks before for unclear reasons. My girls and I went to a restaurant a few towns over. Thirty minutes into the meal, my ex-boyfriend walks in with another girl. It’s safe to say I found out exactly why he broke up with me that night on Valentine’s Day. I haven’t talked to him since I made it very clear I saw him that night.”

“Last year I was hooking up with this guy I really liked and Valentine’s Day came at a premature time in our relationship. I won’t lie, I was hoping he’d say or do something to reassure some sort of mutual feeling between the two of us, so when he showed that night unannounced to give me a “surprise” I was pretty excited! Unfortunately, his unannounced visit didn’t give me enough time to hide the abundance of flowers from my two ex-boyfriends that clearly had unresolved feelings for me. It was clear that he thought I was messing around with several guys and left faster than I could explain myself.”

“When I was in high school I made a big deal of my romantic date night I had planned with my boyfriend. I even got my mom excited for the romantic event and let her live vicariously through me as I shuffled through my closet to find a flirty, but classy, outfit. I wasn’t normally allowed to go out on dates, but Valentine’s Day seemed to be the exception. I asked my boyfriend to pick up a handle of vodka for our date, later finding out that wouldn’t be a good idea.  My “romantic first date” ended up over the toilet while my mom cussed out my boyfriend’s parents on the phone. Valentine’s Day for the books!”

Ladies, if I can make any suggestions for this year’s Valentines Day…. It involves chocolate, best friends, wine, and the new Nicolas Sparks movie. Happy February 14th.