What Guys REALLY Think About Valentine’s Day, From Mr. 364 Himself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Today’s the day. The day when girls expect to be pampered. The day guys do uncontrollable absurd acts of kindness to please the needs and wants of a specific girl they have in mind. To most, this girl will be their significant other but to others, it’s a girl they wish to gain the interest of. Not saying their acts won’t gain the interest of this desired girl, more times then not it usually does, but is the amount of time, money, and effort put into this act for the day worth it? The man performing this act is first of, in denial, and will then proceed to tell you it’s worth it or get out of his business. If he thinks all of this is going to help his situation or solve a problem, he has the complete wrong idea. After this state of mind has been accepted, he proceeds to think of ways to spend money on this girl; flowers, chocolates, teddy bears, cards, the works. This intricate way of presenting the gifts to her is next on the list.

Men will wake up at odd hours in the early morning or ask their significant other’s friends, most likely the one without a valentine, for help in ways of “surprising” her. All of this is great and will be performed by a man in a women’s life at some point in their life. What guys fail to realize, is there are 364 other days in the year. The 364 days they should be repeating similar actions towards their significant other. The 364 days they have to win over the heart of admirer. The 364 days used to make memories with that special someone.

This 1 single day is so merely insignificant that it’s misunderstood and misinterpreted. This was a day probably created by Hallmark to increase sales revenue. An unspoken “deal” between chocolate and/or candy makers, stuffed animal creators, and florists.  A day women thought it was acceptable to make a guy act in this absurd manner. To this day, I say “ba-humbug”. Yes, you heard it, this day is boring and upsetting. Some guys may agree with this conceived notion, others will oppose. The result lies inside the brain of the man. Although the love of Valentine’s day may be nonexistent in my heart, rest assured I will make those 364 other days count just as much as this one.

You are special to someone. You do have a place for that someone to fill in your heart. You deserve to be treated like the only women on planet earth. You deserve to be spoiled, not just one day, but every day. Guys should be bending over backwards for you. After all the sacrifices you make for us, we want to make you feel wanted everyday. We strive to eliminate the words settle, inconsistent, and routine. We only hope to surprise you from the moment you wake up all the way until you fall soft and sound asleep. Tell you your beautiful not just when you want to go out, but as soon as you wake up in the morning. So yes, this day shouldn’t be emphasized any more than the 364 other.  Rather, it should be another to obtain a new height. A level where he treats you just that much better each and every day. And for the guy who doesn’t have this special privilege of trying to act in this manner towards a hopeful significant other, he for sure as hell wishes he was demonstrating his ability performing in such manner. That’s for sure. 

Till next time.

Anonymous…or you can call me, Mr. 364

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.