Update on Pennsylvania School Stabbing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Last Wednesday, April 9th, Alex Hribal, a 16 year old student of Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, PA went on a violent rampage stabbing 21 of his fellow students and one security guard. The rampage happened before classes on Wednesday when Hribal ran down about 200 feet of hallway stabbing his fellow students, four of whom are described as being in critical condition. After Stabbing the 21 students and critically injuring four, Hribal was tackled and taken down in heroic fashion by the school principal Sam King. The attack is said to have lasted for around five minutes.

Police have said that bullying is not believed to be the cause of this violent lash out and the motive remains unknown. Police are revealing that a threatening phone call was made the night before the stabbing between Hribel and another student, but are unsure if the suspect made the call or received it. Police are also unsure if the phone call was the main reason for the stabbing. At this time, it does not seem Hribal targeted any specific student or group of students. Recreating the events from that morning have been extremely difficult because Alex Hribal is not cooperating with authorities. He is being charged with four counts of attempted homicide, 21 counts of aggravated assault, and one count of possessing a prohibited weapon on school property. Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett spoke out about this horrific incident stating “There are a number of heroes in this day. Many of them are students… students who stayed with their friends and didn’t leave their friends”.

sources:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/10/suspect-in-custody-after-reports-multiple-stabbings-at-pennsylvania-school/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/11/no-known-target-in-pennsylvania-high-school-stabbing-rampage-police-say/

Bryant University Sophmore