The Theory of Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Do us a favor here at Her Campus and think back to the serious relationships you or your friends have had throughout the years. When did they start? Do you see a trend of them starting during the chilly month September through the beginning of the holiday’s seasons? Have you ever heard of a little theory called cuffing season?

What is cuffing season, you may ask? No, it does not relate to the type of cuffs that Christian Grey uses. These cuffs are the type that can bring two love birds together down at the town houses, and make it last more than just one night. This theory states that girls subconsciously look for and find boyfriends during the months of September through December. Everyone wants that special someone to watch Netflix with as it gets colder, and to tell Aunt Sarah about when she asks about your love life at the Thanksgiving table. When we pull out the oversized sweaters and leggings, what better accessory than a boy with a beautiful smile to make that Instagram photo a hit.     

Now that cuffing season is in full effect, here are some tips for us single girls still out there. Remember to be true to yourself: if he is not willing to hang out with you when you’re at your worst, kick him aside. Give everyone a chance (remember that Belle found her prince in a beast), even the quiet boy in the back of your macro class that doesn’t talk to anyone. You never know who will be the one to light that match. It’s always good if he makes you laugh a lot, and make sure you have fun together. But most importantly, make sure you like him for him and not because he plays a special sport or he hangs out with the type of people you want to be friends with. Like him because you like him and the way you feel when you’re around him.

So happy cuffing season to everyone! To the lucky ones currently in relationships, remind your loved ones of that magical season you two fell head over heels for each other. And for the other half of us who are still single, may the odds forever be in your favor this season!