Taylor Swift’s New Songs and What They Mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

If you haven’t listened to Taylor Swift’s new album 1989 we strongly recommend it. Here we have a description of each new song and what they really mean!

“Welcome to New York”– The first song on Tay’s album sets an upbeat, pop tone for the rest of the album. It’s about- surprise- going to New York City. Taylor explains her love for endless possibilities and fast paced lifestyle offered in the Big Apple.

Best time to listen to this song: When you’re going to or are currently in NYC. If you’re from New York then you should probably just listen to this song all the time.

“Blank Space”– Finally Taylor is addressing the fact that she dates tons of guys and then writing songs about the break up. She’s clearly growing up and embracing her reputation. What makes this song great (besides the totally tweetable lyrics and fun beat), is the fact that she isn’t trying to deny her past. She’s owning up to the fact that she knowingly dates the bad boys. If you want to date Taylor Swift, you have to keep in mind that she has a blank space, and she will write your name.

Best time to listen to this song: Any time. Literally just keep in on repeat because it’s that good.

“Style”– Which boyfriend could this possibly be about?? The meaning of this song is completely hidden.

JUST KIDDING! “Style” is obviously about this guy:

Harry Styles and Taylor dated in December of 2012, but people had been speculating about a possible romance since that March. Harry is actually the most recent boyfriend we officially know about. “Style” describes a relationship that you keep going back to even if you know it isn’t going anywhere. The relationship will “never go out of style,” and you keep coming back for more.

Best time to listen to this song: When you need reassurance that you aren’t the only girl who keeps going back to a pointless relationship. Or when you’re wearing classic red lipstick.

“Out of the Woods”– Once again, this song is about Harry Styles. Proof is in the lines: “Remember when you hit the brakes too soon, Twenty stitches in a hospital room.” Taylor told Rolling Stone that this refers to a snowmobile accident. Harry was seen with stitches and a bandage on his chin when the two were dating. Besides, crashing a snowmobile sounds like something Harry Styles would do. “Out of the Woods” is similar to “Style” in describing a relationship where you never know exactly where you stand.  

Best time to listen to this song: When you’re confused about the status of the relationship, or you’re lost in the woods. Bryant has like 400 acres of land, it isn’t that hard to do.

“All You Had to Do Was Stay”– Pretty self-explanatory. Taylor is telling an ex that all she wanted him to do was stay, and he left. So good riddance. Some speculate that this is also about Harry Styles.

Best time to listen to this song: When you need to remind yourself that he messed up and you don’t need him.

“Shake It Off”– If you haven’t heard this song then it’s time to climb out from the rock you’ve been living under. The song was released August 18, and debut at number one on Billboard Hot 100 on September 6. “Shake It Off” is a shout out to all of Taylor’s critics. Sorry haters, Taylor isn’t going to let you get her down any more.

Best time to listen to this song: When the players are playing and haters are hating but you just wanna shake.

“I Wish You Would”– This one is about forgiving someone who previously hurt you and wishing they would come back. Taylor’s pining for an ex-boyfriend is similar to “I Almost Do” from her Red album. It’s unsure who this track was based off of. A lot of the 1989 songs seem to be written about an archetypical boyfriend.

Best time to listen to this song: When you’re really missing an ex.

“Bad Blood”– This song is rumored to be about Katy Perry. Perry allegedly stole Taylor’s Red backup dancers and almost sabotaged the whole tour! Thank God she didn’t, because that concert was amazing. If these rumors are true, Katy would definitely fit the character being slammed in “Bad Blood.” Here Taylor’s singing about a friend who screwed her over and had better stay far away.

Best time to listen to this song: When you are so over a bad friend.

“Wildest Dreams”– Taylor Swift or Lana Del Rey? It’s almost hard to tell at first. Taylor seems to be drawing inspiration from Del Rey in this eerily beautiful song. She’s asking someone to remember her after they breakup, even if they never see each other face-to-face again.

Best time to listen to this song: When you need lyrics to caption your next selfie.

“How You Get the Girl”–  Taylor’s how-to manual on getting the girl: stand outside her house in the rain, tell her how you feel, offer to put her broken heart back together, remind her of the good times, apologize for being so stupid. Sounds good to us!

Best time to listen to this song: When you need advice on how to get the girl.

“This Love”– This is about loving someone and having to let them leave, then being devastated that they are gone. Sad, right? BUT there is a silver lining: he comes back! That’s right, “These hands had to let it go free, And this love came back to me.” Congrats on the happy ending, Tay.

Best time to listen to this song: When you’re holding onto hope for your own happy ending.

“I know Places”– Here we have Taylor complaining about the paparazzi that are constantly following her. She accuses the media of messing up her relationships, and suggests running away to a place where she can’t be found.

Best time to listen to this song: When you’re fed up with how obsessed people are with you.

“Clean”– This song is about finally ridding yourself of a past relationship. It’s about having a fresh start and clearing away the baggage.  

Best time to listen to this song: When you shower on a Sunday morning and put Saturday’s one night stand out of your mind.