Should Women Allow their Partners To Change Their Style?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Kim Kardashian is arguably the most famous reality TV star. You don’t need to ‘Keep Up With the Kardashians’ to know about Kim Kardashian. Some people pay attention to her for one of two reasons; her style and/or her dating life. Currently she is dating rapper Kanye West. Ever since they started dating Kim’s style has gone through a complete overhaul.

In the beginning of their relationship, I actually liked the fact that she wasn’t wearing 20 inch extensions or wearing her usual full face of heavy of make up. It gave her a cleaned and polished look that suited the 31 year old woman she is. But now it seems like she’s been taking a whole of fashion advice from Kanye West. Her style had become very dark and moody. Her style choices seem to consist of monochrome and leather outfits from designers that her man is a fan off.

Kanye West has made it no secret through his twitter account and music that his ‘perfect’ woman would always wear Givenchy and Balmain among other designers with the same sartorial tastes. Ever since she began dating Kanye these are the designers we’ve become accustomed to seeing Kim Kardashian in.

Now, whether you hate her or not, you cannot deny that Kim Kardashian, pre Kanye, had a style to die for. Gone are the days of colorful blazers, perfectly colorblocked outfits, and an assortment of Hervé Léger bandage dresses.

Lately it seems like Kanye has given her wardrobe black, white, baggy, and leather makeover. The majority of the clothes she wears don’t compliment her curvy body. Should a man be allowed to do that? Should a woman let a man do that?

The way a woman chooses to clothe her body is a small but extremely definitive manner of defining who she is. Now there is nothing wrong with listening to a suggestion from a man or wearing a certain color dress or conservative dress to please a partner. However, once a man begins to dictate what a woman wears that is a step towards a loss of identity. A woman’s sartorial decisions are a window into their personality. Having the freedom to choose your own style means dressing in clothes that you are confident in. If we allowed a man to have control over our personal style we would be molding ourselves into different people with each passing relationship.

As women, young or old, it is important to be true to who we are when we are in relationships. It is important to keep in mind that men are attracted to our personality and everything we are that is why they are with us. A man should not change who we are but instead make us better versions of who we are. Personal style, though it may seem like something trivial, is something important to every woman’s identity and as such it should be valued. 

Photo sources

Kim Kardashian Stephan Rolland
K
im Kardashian Lime dress
K
im Kardashian Givenchy boots
K
im Kardashian baggy leather pants