The Senate Superman – Adam McGarry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Adam McGarry
Bryant Graduation Year: 2015
Major/Minor: Double Major in Accounting and Politics & Law / Undecided Minor
Hometown: Plymouth, MA

HC: What are you involved with here at Bryant?

AM: I am the Secretary of Student Senate, a member of Senate’s Community and Outreach committee, Parents and Family Weekend co-chair, and a general member of Pi Sigma Epsilon.

HC: As Secretary of Senate, what are your responsibilities?

AM: The Senate Secretary is in charge of ordering supplies, taking attendance, keeping track of agendas and taking down meeting mintues. I am also in charge of the Senate Corner, a weekly column in The Archway, as well as social media and communitcation between E-Board and the legislative body of Senate.

HC: Have you always been very involved in student government?

AM: In high school, I joined Student Council my freshman year as a general member. By my senior year, I was elected Vice President of E-Board. At Bryant, I joined Senate as a general legislative body member representing the class of 2015, and later got elected Secretary for the 2012-2013 academic year.

HC: You mentioned being a co-chair for the planning of Parents and Family Weekend. Can you tell us some more about what it takes to plan such a big event?

AM: Planning for P&F Weekend began in May of last year. We work year round (yes, even in the summer) to plan this. It involves a lot of communication between comittee members. I was also responsible for staying in contact with vendors and the entertainment (like the Elvis impersonator). You really need to love it and want to plan it, it takes a lot of passion to make P&F the best weekend ever!

HC: How do you plan on using your skills gained through Senate after graduation?

AM: Senate has taught me a lot about team building and leadership, as well as building character. I can definitely see these skills helping me with coworkers. I have also learned a lot of responsibility which will help me be a great employee.

HC: So what is your favorite thing about Bryant?

AM: I can only pick one? Well it is definitely the friends I have made here. They are adventurous, optimistic and open to new experiences and have taught me to be the same. I think some people have definitely changed me for the better – I have learned to loosen up and not take myself too seriously!