Relay for Life Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Today is Bryant’s annual Relay for Life event. This is one of our favorite and most successful fundraisers on campus. Relay for Life is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society in which teams camp out overnight and take turns walking or running around a track or path at a local high school, park, or fairground. So far, Bryant has 42 teams, with 425 participants who have raised $33,096!

As team captain of our own Her Campus Bryant relay team, I know the latest donations we have raised nearly adds up to a total of $1,890! It isn’t too late to donate so if you are feeling generous and want to support a worthy cause, click here!

So exactly what are the Relay for Life essentials?

• Snacks. Encourage members to each bring a snack, drink or cups. When your team members are not walking or doing fundraisers, taking a quick snack break is always important.

• Games. If team members bring a game like Apples to Apples, Catch-Phrase, Headbands, it can be an awesome activity for team bonding. Last year, we played Apples to Apples and ending up laughing hysterically after we decided the cards you won described your personalities.

• Team Gear. Decorating and wearing a shirt that represents your team, or the reason why you are relaying shows your Relay for Life spirit and can be encouraging to others at the event.

• Money (cash). Throughout all Relay for Life events, there are individual team fundraisers going on. At Bryant last year, we had energy drinks being sold, to a bake sale, and games that were all held to raise extra money. Most of these fundraisers require small donations ($1-$5), so don’t forget to bring some!

• The right clothing. Sneakers are essential. Comfy clothes make it possible to be comfortable all night. Some Relay events may be held outside and in that case warm clothing and even blankets ensure being warm.

• Tents & camping gear. Because Relay is an “all night event” asking team members to bring sleeping bags, tents, pillows and blankets will make this huge sleepover fun and enjoyable.  The tent may not be needed for tonight since it will be inside!

The Bryant University Relay for Life starts today at 4:00pm in the MAC (gym in the Chace center).