Practice Makes Perfect- Interview tips useful for internships and full-time jobs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Whether you’re interviewing for an internship or a full-time job, we have some great tips to help you get rid of those nerves and get yourself prepared!

Dress for Success- Interview attire should always be assumed business professional. Keep it clean, fitting, tucked in, and formal. Ladies, keep the skirt length and heel height appropriate, with your shoulders and cleavage covered! Men should have zero or very well groomed facial hair, and wear a well fitted suit.

NVC- Nonverbal communication is critical for your interview. Did you know it takes someone as little as 3 seconds to make a first impression!? Make it a good one! For your interview have a confident smile, firm handshake, and maintain eye contact.  Practice in the mirror, with your friends, and don’t forget your campus resources.

P.S. a secret to phone interviews: tape a picture of someone in front of you to pretend you’re talking to them, it helps!

Build rapport– Building rapport with your interviewer(s) is a way to let your personality shine without talking business. Relax those nerves, be yourself, and show some character. Try to dig up some mutual interests and engage in conversation to show them who you really are.

P.S this can also be the icing to your follow-up email. Make them remember you!

Know the company- Knowing the company may seem obvious, however you never know what questions they’ll ask in your interview! Know the employers history, company trends, future plans, what’s in the news, etc. Some companies may have interview tip sections on their website so make sure to do your homework!

Know your position- If you’re interviewing for a marketing position, chances are you don’t need to know about the roles of an accountant- at least not yet. Study the job position role and requirements in your application, apply your experience to those roles and make the employer confident you know and are qualified for the position you’re interviewing for.

Know your resume- An interview is like a sales meeting. You need to know what your client wants and how to sell what you have! In your interview, knowing what’s on your resume will allow you to sell yourself. Remember interviews can be very competitive, so apply your experience to the employer’s needs and wants. Seal the deal!

Ask questions- Asking questions expresses curiosity. Questions about the company whether it be success stories, growth opportunities, company trends from their 401k, etc. will show you don’t have an idle mind and gaining knowledge is important to you.

P.S It will never hurt to ask how well you did during the interview. Make them tell you how they feel, and show them you can handle it and are always looking for ways to improve!

Here at Bryant University we have exceptional services and programs at the Amica Center for Career Education. Contact then by phone, fax, or email to get started now!

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.