This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

I am a huge fan of thrifting and have been doing so for many years. Most of my clothes are from the thrift store. I love it since I save money and find one-of-a-kind pieces at the same time. So with my passion for sustainability and my experience with thrifting, I want to share my tips, tricks, and best shops near Bryant University. 

1. Finding a store 

I recommend that you check out local stores. Big box stores like Goodwill and Savers are picked through and overpriced. Thrifting locally, such as at a charity shop, has lower prices. In my experience, I have found more clothes from different decades, rather than a Hollister shirt at Goodwill.

2. How to find gold

Before you walk into the store, think about what items you want to find. For example, I am on the hunt for a leather blazer, light wash mom jeans, and a white purse. If you’re unsure of what you want, look for “thrift-spo,” also known as thrifting inspiration on websites like Pinterest and Urban Outfitters. 

On the other hand, keep an open mind when shopping; you never know what you’ll find there. When you find something that catches your eye, imagine how you would style it. Be open to making alterations to it, if need be. For example, you may want to crop a shirt or add some crafty ✨spice✨. Then, make your decision to buy from there. 

3. The best sections in a thrift store 

Purses: There are super unique bags as well as great brands for low prices.

Business Clothes: Why spend hundreds of dollars at J.Crew or Loft when the same stuff is at the thrift store?

Kids’ Clothes: This is a great place to find crop tops with cute graphics!

Jewelry: There are lots of fun and funky things.

Belts: Why spend more money on a new belt when you can get a higher quality one at the thrift store?

4. Tidbits of advice 

• If you are looking for a tight-fitting top, look at your size, then the next size down. 
  • Do not sleep on the kids’ section. Most boys’ XL can fit a woman’s M, while girls’ XL can fit a woman’s XS-S.
  • If you feel like a thrifted piece is missing something, get crafty and add it yourself!

5. Best locations near Bryant 

Salvation Army in Woonsocket

I do not recommend most large-scale thrift stores, but Salvation Army has a different selection. This location is HUGE and very cheap. I have found plenty of great things here. 

Woonsocket Cat Sanctuary

Yes, a cat sanctuary! This is a no-kill cat shelter that also has a fire thrift store! When you shop there, you are helping homeless cats in need. This place has wicked low prices and kind people working there. I have gotten clothes that give off Urban Outfitters’ vibes. I didn’t see any cats there, but I would recommend taking allergy medicine if you are allergic to cats. Also, if you need volunteer hours, they would love to have you! Give the cat sanctuary a call and figure out how you can help. 

Plato’s Closet in Warwick

Plato’s Closet is a consignment store that has tons of trendy items. I find it tough to find “going out” tops at typical thrift stores, so this is where Plato’s Closet comes in clutch. I love that instead of supporting fast fashion stores, you can still get the trendy designs at Plato’s Closet. Also, if you want to save money on a dress for a formal occasion, go to Plato’s before buying a fancy, new dress.

I hope these tips helped! Good luck on finding some cool, new clothes for the fall and winter seasons. Don’t forget to shop local! :)

I love fashion, fitness, and living a well-balanced life :)