Parents & Family Weekend101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

So with Parents & Family Weekend happening this weekend, we need to give you the low-down and tips on how to make the most out of the weekend!  So, here we go-have an awesome weekend-by following our tips you will be sure to!

1.  Don’t drink too much Friday night

Why?  Because who wants to be hungover the entire day on Saturday when your little cousin is jumping all over your arm, your dad is trying to have some quality father-daughter time, and your mom is yelling at you for your messy room?  That’s why.  Enjoy Friday with your friends, by all means, but please please please save the liquor for another weekend!  Or if you are 21, share a few beers with your parents while tailgating on Saturday!

2.  Pick a great place to eat

We love Salmo, sometimes.  Don’t be afraid to venture off campus!  There are great restaurants in the area and all over Providence.  Places like Cheesecake Factory may be way too busy to even get a reservation but we have some other great restaurants to try out…call ahead to places like D.Carlo and Trattoria to make a reservation!:

3.  Hit up your favorite bar with mom & dad (if they’re into that sort of thing)

If you’re 21, don’t be afraid to suggest heading to Rentes or Effins with all your friends and their parents.  Caution: only do this if your parents seem to be into the college scene!

4.  Be patient & nice

Stay patient with your parents this weekend.  They may want to do things slower than you are, or they may want to look around campus for a while, just let them!  They don’t get to see you very often, more than likely, so let them enjoy being in your “world” for a day.  Show them your favorite parts of campus and tell them stories (appropriate ones!)  Also be nice.  We know sometimes fighting with parents can be absolutely inevitable but save it this weekend.  Bite your tongue, cheek, and squeeze your teeth together…anything to keep a fight from happening!  

5.  Attend the Dean’s List Reception

This is for everyone but freshmen.  If you have been invited to the Dean’s List Reception-attend it!  Give your parents sometihng to be proud of you for and take advantage of some free food for breakfast.

[pagebreak]

6.  Introduce your parents

Remember how you felt your first day as a freshmen?  Well if this is your parent’s first time spending the day, they may feel just as awkward as you did when you had to go around meeting people.  Introduce them to professors and staff you pass that you  know well!  Introduce your friend’s parents to your parents too!  Parents love to see who their kids hang out with, makes them feel comfortable with you being at school and such!  Plus, who knows, your parents and your friend’s parents may hit it off and have an awesome weekend together.

7.  Don’t sleep somewhere other than your bed 

Sounds kinda silly but trust us when we tell you there would be almost nothing worst than your parents showing up, giving you a call, and you having to run across campus looking like a hot mess to act as if you slept in your own bed…just sleep in your own bed.

8. Clean your house/suite/bedroom

Friday night, or Saturday morning, get all your housemates/suitemates/roomates (you get the point) together and clean up the house!  What better than your mom having NOTHING to complain about as she walks into a clean area that you live in!?

9.  Don’t forget to send in your pics!

We want to see you and your family smooshed all together in one happy pic!  We’re making a photo blog out of them so send them in to hercampus@bryant.edu to be featured on our site!

Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.