Our Best Travel Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It’s the holiday season, collegiettes! For many of us that means we are headed back home, but it also means that many of us are traveling solo. No matter how seasoned you are, traveling can stress you out.  For all the nervous travelers, we’ve assembled our best advice for stress free adventures!

If You’re Flying

1. Print Your Boarding Pass at Home

Airlines allow passengers to check in for flights 24 hours in advance. You can do this from the comfort of your sofa and save yourself time at the airport! After checking in, you can print your boarding pass so that when you arrive at the airport you can head right to security if you aren’t checking a bag.

2. Bypass the Security Lane

Some airlines offer special tickets that allow you to speed through those long security lines. These tickets are often more expensive, but are worth it if you’re looking to reduce your airport stress. Because no one likes getting stuck behind the person who hasn’t figured out how metal detectors work.

3. Pack a Light Carry-On

Trying to stuff a full size suitcase into the overhead bin is annoying for you and for your fellow passengers. Check your large bag and then breeze onto the plane with just a backpack. You’ll be able to get on and off the plane much faster. Pro tip: pack an extra outfit and your makeup in your carry-on so you’ll have something to wear in case your checked bag does get lost!

4. Chew Gum

Save your ears and chew gum during takeoff and landing. The chewing motion will help your ears pop and reduce the painful pressure buildup. You can also offer the cutie sitting next to you a piece as a great ice breaker!

If You’re Driving

1. Schedule a Pit Stop

If you have to be in the car for more than a few hours, make sure to schedule a break for yourself. Major interstates often have rest stop plazas with bathrooms, restaurants, and coffee shops. Take the time to stretch your legs and clear your head, because driving for prolonged periods of time causes muscle tension and dangerous fatigue.

2. Print out Directions

We love our GPS, but sometimes technology breaks. Printing out some basic directions (and knowing how to read them) will save you from wandering around or sitting on the side of the road.

3. Make a Playlist

We hate it when there’s nothing good on the radio, and what’s a road trip without tunes? Save yourself the trouble and create a killer playlist. Jamming to your favorite songs will reduce stress and make the miles fly by.

If You’re Taking the Train

1. Get a Digital Ticket

You can have your train ticket sent directly to your phone and the conductor can scan it right there. Why worry about keeping track of a ticket when you have a smart phone?

2. Find a Seat in the Quiet Car

Nobody wants to listen to that business person’s Very Important Phone Call. Ditto that guy who decided to leave his headphones at home. If you’re not in the mood to talk to the person next to you, the quiet car is the perfect place to travel in peace.

3. Take a Walk

Even sitting on a comfy train for a few hours will make you tired, so get up and explore! Take a trip to the dining car or chat up a cutie in another compartment. Exercise is a known stress reducer and will help you arrive looking and feeling your best!

Happy Travels!

Photo credit:

http://www.studentpoint.cz/data/resized/files/evca-9/620×1000-9f39-travel-writing-.jpg

Abby can be found reading magazines, dreaming up content ideas, browsing(stalking) on Instagram, and pursuing her love of travel. She is also a certified nerd. Find her on Instagram @abby.e.hart because she is not funny enough for Twitter.