roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ordering Starbucks for Dummies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

In a world where Dunkin’ reigns supreme, it is easy to get confused by the millions of delectable options offered at Starbucks.  Luckily, we are here with a certified barista to let you know that getting that fix isn’t so intimidating after all.

Basic Etiquette:

Tip #1: Have no Fear

Some people find baristas judgmental and pretentious when in reality we are usually a bunch of quirky, fun people.  Don’t hesitate to ask for suggestions or recommendation – you might even get lucky and get a secret drink order!

Tip #2: Relax

It’s just coffee.  Or tea.  Or a million other types of drinks.  Regardless, don’t get upset when either a.) the store runs out or b.) a barista doesn’t know how to make some complicated Secret Menu drink off the top of her head. 

Tip #3: Don’t be “That Guy”

You know.  The one who walks in and asks for a “Butter Beer ‘frappe’ (which, by the way, is McDonald’s terminology and please don’t EVER use it) with extra caramel, skinny, hold the whip, decaf” and get angry when the nice lady at the counter has no idea what you are talking about.  We are not trained on how to make Secret Menu items.  If there are few people in the store and you give us directions, then we will probably try our best.  But we wary that some stores are not permitted to follow the wacky directions.

The Process:

Step One: Size Matters

When you step up to the counter to order, say what size you would like first.  This prepares the barista.  And much to popular misconception, we don’t give a s**t what you call the sizes.  Small, medium, large or tall, grande, venti; it’s all the same to us.  

Step Two: Hot n’ Cold

If ordering a type of coffee drink, mention if you want it iced or hot so the barista can grab the cup and write your order on it.  Side note: you can ask for lattes at “kids temp” if you want to drink it right away and not burn your tongue.

Step Three: Be Courteous

We know what we are doing.  We have gone through grueling training, and do the same thing for hours a day.  Plus, we do not want to give you the wrong thing because we will have to remake it.  So please, do not ask five times whether or not your drink is half-caf with skim.  It is. 

Step Four: Sugar and Spice

Like your coffee as black as the circles under your eyes during finals?  Perfect.  Like to feel like you will get diabetes after the first sip?  Uh, guess that’s ok too.  Either way, you are free to make your drink as YOU like it.  Please do not ask us to put in milk and sugar for you because we have no idea how you like your coffee.  We have skim, whole, and half and half around the side, as well as all the sugar and powders you could want.  

Step Five: Experiment!

We have all the flavors Dunkin’ offers, plus more.  A lot of people are afraid to ask what syrups we have, but just tell the cashier what you like, and if we do not have it, he will recommend something similar.