An Open Letter to My Ex- Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Hi there. I don’t know what you’ve been up to, but I hope all is well. I know we’ve been estranged for a while now, but I just want you to know, I still think about you. I still care about you, hoping that you’re safe and okay, happy and healthy. I still wonder what you’re up to and I think of you when all our favorite songs come on the radio. I wonder how you’re liking school, what new friends you made, what gossip you have to share. I still miss you, even after all this time.

I want to let you know that I forgive you. We fought, we cried, we ruined our friendship, but I forgive you. I’m done holding grudges with you. The stupid fights, the petty digs at each other, may have been a necessary release of emotion at the time, but they’re a thing of the past now. I’ve healed on my own. You may have hurt me, but I know I hurt you too. Neither of us were right, neither of us were wrong. We both had a valid argument, even though I would never admit that at the time. You were right, I was wrong in your eyes. I regret my decisions, and I am sorry for all I did to hurt you and hurt our friendship.

I’ve learned a lot. I learned, most importantly, how to heal. I healed from the damage this caused me, the heartache I felt. Losing my best friend, partner in crime, sister, was truly losing a part of me. There was no more laughs, inside jokes, scream singing in the car, ice cream runs and shopping trips. All those fun memories were replaced with glares in the hallway, subtweets, fights and tears. Through this, I learned how to be wrong, how to accept that I’m wrong, and how to move on. I learned how to forgive, for holding a grudge was too hard on me. I learned how to change my flaws and the value in doing so. I learned the value in me, and how to love myself, something I am grateful to you for.  

For all this, I thank you. I thank you for the incredible memories, but also in the lessons learned. Thank you for fighting with me, for I learned my flaws and what to change. Thank you for giving up on me, because I learned I am not invincible, and how I am held accountable for my mistakes. Thank you for breaking my heart, because I learned how to be alone and pull myself back up from the lowest of lows. Thank you for getting me to that point, because I really learned more about me than I ever thought I needed to. Thank you for showing me how words affect people, because through this fight I learned how badly words can hurt people through my own hurt. But most importantly, thank you for being my best friend. It may have ended poorly, but your friendship meant the world to me. I will hold the memories we made in my heart forever, never to be tainted with our falling out. No amount of hurt, fight, or hatred can take away from the blessings and happiness you brought to my life. Thank you for picking me up when I was down, being my crying shoulder, my support system, and my partner in crime. You were everything I needed in a best friend.

I am saddened, but also understand why our friendship came to an end. Not all friendships are perfect, not all relationships last forever. We changed, no longer good for each other. It hurts to me know I will probably never have you in my life again, but I have a wish for you. I wish you all the best. I wish you all the success, wherever this life takes you. I hope you find a man one day who treats you like nothing but the world, friends who will never betray you, and a best friend who is everything I wasn’t. I wish you a life full of prosperity, love, and good health, and I wish that you make the most of everything that comes your way.

I promised I’d love you forever, and that doesn’t change. Thank you, I’m sorry, and be well.

Bryant University Class of 2019I can watch a whole series on Netflix in less than a month and feel no remorse... same with eating an entire pint of Phish Food.