No Internship? No Problem!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With summer quickly approaching, collegiettes everywhere are jumping at the opportunity to find a summer internship to add to their resumes.  It seems like without that perfect summer internship, you’ll never get that perfect job opportunity.  Lucky for you – that is SO not true!  And don’t panic!  There are plenty of other meaningful things you can do this summer that you can add to your resume.  Here are just a few:

1.       Register with a temporary agency.

Registering as a temp could be a great way to get marketable experience and try different paths.  This will help you expand your network, get to know your industry, and most importantly – it could help you get your foot in the door of a larger company.

2.      Assist faculty with research or an academic project.

If you live close enough to school and have the opportunity, assisting faculty with research could be a great option for you especially if it’s in your field.  Many professors stay active with their research, and this is definitely resume material.

3.      Volunteer for a nonprofit organization.

Contact organizations directly and inquire about opportunities that will build your skills or expand your knowledge in your field.  Community service AND real-world experience!

4.      Shadow someone.

This is a great option for students who may still be a little uncertain about what they want to do.  A day on the job will give you a better understanding of what you want to do with your future and a better plan for next summer!