My Study Abroad Horror Story: Losing My Wallet in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Studying abroad in London was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. And you know what they say: When in Rome do as the Romans do…so When in London Town … Do the Pub Crawl. Well, my friend Jennifer Jackson did the Pub Crawl and woke up to notice that her wallet, which included her metro card (or ‘Oyster card’ as it is is referred to in London) every debit and credit card in it, was no where to be found. This is her Study Abroad Horror Story and tips to avoid being in the same situation.

It was October at 2am after my infamous Pub Crawl night in London. I hopped on the double-decker bus and headed to my friend’s flat after an epic night. I got to friend’s flat safely and went to sleep like a baby – just to wake up the next day to find out my wallet was not with me. I literally felt like my life was over at that point. I did not remember exactly everything that happened the night before – for obvious reasons. I frantically searched my friend’s flat, tried to trace my steps, looked outside and in the end I called my parents and just broke down crying. People lose their wallets all the time, but to lose it in a foreign country was one of the worst things that could possibly happen to me. 

My wallet contained my Oyster card which I needed in order to get back on a bus or the Tube. So now I’m stranded with no means of getting back to my flat and no money. To make matters worse it was a Saturday so all the calls I made to London’s Transportation Office were not returned. I immediately called my bank back in America and cancelled all my cards. Fortunately my study abroad program offered me a $100 emmergency loan. $100 is roughly ₤50 – and as grateful as I was for that emergency loan  ₤50 does not last that long in London. 

My friends were more than willing to lend me money and help me out and as much as I needed the money to survive I hated having to ask for the money. Borrowing money and having to rely on someone else for basic survival needs was extremely awkward  and uncomfortable. For three days I was absolutely miserable until University in London called me to let me know that my wallet had been found!

As great as this news was to my ears it was definitely bitter sweet. I had just cancelled my debit  and credit cards and the new ones would be arriving in London in 14 days. So yes my wallet was found, but I still had to go on for two weeks without any money. In the end there are three important tips I learned from this ordeal that everyone studying abroad should be aware of:

1.  Before you go abroad make photocopies or scanse of your debit and credit cards. When you report a stolen card to your bank they will ask for your card numbers.

2. When going out DO NOT TAKE all your important cards with you, try to bring just enough money.

3. Always have some cash stashed away in a secret location in case of emergencies.

Photo Source:

Night Out 

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.