The Male Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1) Everybody Thinks You’re Dating

Your parents, his parents, the waitress at IHOP, and at least one of your friends has dropped hints about how cute of a couple you two would be! It can be frustrating because you’ve told them a THOUSAND times that you’re just friends; but, even so, you guys love each other and you don’t care who knows it!

2) He’ll Tell You How You Really Look

He knows your style, and he’s seen you at your best and your worst. You can always count on him for honest feedback, but he won’t silently judge you for how large your yoga pants collection is. Even though you can’t take him in the dressing room with you, you value his opinion over anyone else’s.

3) The Confusing Man-Brain

Boys do some weird things (like grunting at the gym…), and sometimes you swear that he has male PMS. However, all of those crazy questions about guys that you and your girlfriends could never figure out, you can ask him. The best part is, you don’t have to worry about how silly/embarrassing the question is- you can swear him to best friend secrecy.

4) All Things scary

He’s down to hold your hand on a rollercoaster, or to build a protective blanket fort after a late night scary movie; but that doesn’t mean that he won’t be the first one to yell “Boo” when the lights go out.

5) No Competition

We all have that one girlfriend who could look like a million dollars in a potato sack, and we’ve all felt the tiniest twinge of jealousy when she hooks up with the best looking guy in the room (its ok, we won’t tell!) But chances are, you and your best dude aren’t after the same guys (or girls). So you’re left free to cheer him on, but you totally have to veto anyone he wants to date… because no one is good enough for your bestie.

In the end, you couldn’t live without each other, and why would you want to? 

Abby can be found reading magazines, dreaming up content ideas, browsing(stalking) on Instagram, and pursuing her love of travel. She is also a certified nerd. Find her on Instagram @abby.e.hart because she is not funny enough for Twitter.