Jenna Trinchini

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Jenna Trinchini

Graduation Year: 2015

Major/Minor: Finance/Literature & Cultural Studies

Hometown: West Springfield, MA

Bryant Involvement: Alliance for Women’s Awareness (AWA), Center for Diversity & Inclusion (CDI), Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization (CEO)

Favorite thing about Bryant: The tight-knight community – It’s rare to find a campus where everyone really cares about each other!

HC: Tell us a little bit about some of your responsibilities over the past few years at the CDI?

JT: The CDI is a fairly new organization at Bryant that includes the Hochberg Women’s Center, Pride Center, Intercultural Center, and Campus Ministry under the same umbrella. Before last fall, all of these departments were separate entities, so before then most of my work was primarily involved with administrative tasks such as developing marketing materials and managing social media for the Women’s Center. Since the switch, I’ve been able to do this in collaboration with all CDI departments, which has been amazing so far. I’ve been promoted to Digital Content Manager, which includes more managerial duties such as developing the CDI internal website and managing social media accounts for the Women’s Center, Intercultural Center, and Pride Center.

HC: Congratulations on your recent award! What does winning a HerStory award mean to you?

JT: Thank you! The HerStory Award is a great honor for women who have worked to create a more equitable and just environment for women on this campus, and I’m very grateful and humbled to receive an award for something that is so dear to me. I think it’s important to recognize students who have enhanced the quality of life for women as well as increasing awareness on key gender issues in the Bryant community. It’s definitely something to feel proud of!

HC: What inspired you to get involved with AWA?

JT: My involvement with AWA began after I started working at the Women’s Center my freshman year. I had a Foundations for Learning (FFL) class with Toby Simon, the pioneer and first director of the Hochberg Women’s Center at Bryant, who really encouraged me to get involved with the Women’s Center. Since then, the Women’s Center became my second home, and there was no turning back! I became so enveloped with the meaningful work that the Women’s Center was doing, which really sparked me to join AWA. This allowed me to help carry out those same objectives on a student-based level as well as network with an awesome group of people that shared similar interests and values.

HC: What has your favorite part of your work with AWA and the Women’s Center been?

JT: My favorite part of my work with AWA and the Women’s Center is the various events and programs that we offer to the Bryant community. For example, every fall semester we run a Sexuality Series that encourages open discussion about various topics revolving around college students and sex, as well as a film festival showcasing films and documentaries that tackle women’s issues. Women’s HerStory month was also a huge success, and it has been great working with the new assistant director of the Hochberg Women’s Center, Kelly Boutin, who is also AWA’s new advisor. We have a lot of great things in the works, as April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Something I’m especially excited for is the Miss Bryant pageant, a competition to raise awareness for sexual assault, sponsored by AWA and Delta Kappa Epsilon on April 23. The Mr. Bryant competition has been a beloved Bryant tradition for years, however that opportunity was never given to women on our campus. For the first time ever, women of the Bryant community will be able to showcase their intellect, be recognized for their involvement on campus, and most importantly, take a public stance on the issue of sexual assault.

HC: Why should students become involved with women’s groups on campus?

JT: I think students should become involved with women’s groups on campus because it’s something that can truly empower you and help you grow as an individual. Tackling women’s issues on a college campus isn’t easy, but it’s so rewarding. I don’t think I would have developed into the person I am today if I had never became involved with the Hochberg Women’s Center/AWA. It has truly defined my college career, and knowing that I’ve made a difference at Bryant is something I will harbor for the rest of my life.

HC: The Bryant community will definitely miss you after your graduation this spring…any plans for the future yet?

JT: My plans for the future include taking life as it comes and spending the summer in Berlin, Germany, which I’m very excited about!