How To Survive A LDR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Long distance relationships. It’s a scary thought that makes any couple cringe. Nonetheless, as college students and especially at Bryant where at least 90% of students live on campus, being distanced from a significant other or even just a friend is inevitable. Don’t you fear though, Her Campus has your back to survive whatever long distance relationship you might find yourself in.

Firstly and most importantly, don’t let distance ruin a relationship.

• Miles are just miles, don’t let them affect the way you feel for a person. With today’s technology, you can keep in touch with anyone from anywhere in the world. If you’re in an overseas relationship, apps like “Viber” or “Whatsapp?” allow you to text or call, all free of charge. Skype and Facetime are also great ways to still be with your special someone even if you cannot be there physically. Sometimes with technology personal touch is lost, don’t be afraid to write out a letter or send a care package. Seeing the hand writing of the person you love is surprisingly comforting. Not only is it more personal, but it’s also romantic, The Notebook or P.S. I Love You anyone?

Secondly, communication is key.

• As cliché as it sounds, communication is a vital part of any relationship, especially a long distance one. Don’t be afraid to share the details of your day, as boring as they may seem to you. Make your long distancer feel included in your life. It is important to keep him or her informed because he or she would otherwise be there if it weren’t for the distance. Tell him or her about your friends, your classes, that crazy roommate of yours, anything to keep them up to date on what you’ve been up to. You’ll still feel close to each other, even when far away.

Thirdly, have fun and make the best out of it.

• Don’t feel like you can’t go out and have a good time because your special someone isn’t with you. You don’t need to feel guilty for having fun without them; a good long distance relationship consists of trust and understanding. You should both want the best for one another. Being in a long distance relationship allows you to still have a great relationship while being able to do your own thing. Participate in hobbies or clubs you’ve always been interested in, but have been apprehensive of doing because you were afraid it would take away too much time from your relationship. Also you don’t need to worry about looking cute every day, and let’s be honest, we all have those times where we just need to throw on the sweatpants and call it a day.

Lastly, don’t think that because you are separated you can’t do things together.

• Go on a virtual date. As odd as it may seem just pick up the phone and say where you’re going to go, what you’ll do, how it looks. It will take some imagination, but the two of you will have fun creating a scenario together and in the future you can make the date a reality. Watch a movie together. Pick a movie, watch it at the same time, and call or text each other while you watch it. It will feel like he’s there with you. Find a song that reminds you of him, when you’re feeling sad or are missing him a lot, play it and you will instantly be calmed. Finally, a favorite, have something personal of his to remind you of him and all the feelings you have for each other.

As a final point, always keep a positive attitude.

• Know that you’re not alone; there are thousands of couples that are going through the same thing. Long distance relationships can and do work. It is difficult at times, but the relationship will work if you want it to and put the effort in. Trust, communication, and commitment contribute to a successful long distance relationship of any sort and will work for yours. Distance is only temporary, but love is forever.
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.