How to Pack for Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Four months, two suitcases? Challenge accepted. The excitement of traveling abroad shouldn’t be hindered because you’re nervous about leaving behind a few of your favorite pieces of clothing, so here’s a few tips on how to avoid that all together.

DO NOT wait until the last minute. Someone told us “pack, pack, and repack” before going abroad, and they were so right. Lay aside the clothing and accessories you want and then conquer the suitcases, but please be warned the concept of “the eye is bigger than the belly” applies here. We almost guarantee you will have much less room in those suitcases than you expect, but that is OKAY. Do not get discouraged, tomorrow is a new day. When you’re ready, take on the suitcases again.

Roll your clothing. If you try this your second time packing, you will have significantly more room. All clothing can be rolled and it actually avoids wrinkles: it’s a game changer. Now, when it comes time to cut out the clothes that you never thought you were going to have to leave behind, please allow us to tell you the words no girl ever wants to hear… be basic.

Pack the basics. Those jeans that go with every top… pack them. The boring white and black t-shirts that no one ever suspects you wear 4 times a week… pack them. The shoes that are so comfortable, you never want to take off, pack them. When we pack for our time across the Atlantic, we allow ourselves one statement piece a week (i.e. a dress, nice top, funky pants.) You will probably Instagram on average once or twice a week so the people back home will never know you wore those leggings the past 3 days. Of course, everyone does not travel to the same location, so precise pieces of clothing that are essential will vary from person to person but we do have a few recommendations based on our travels through Europe.

A rain coat is vital, but do NOT pack rain boots. Europeans do not wear these types of footwear and if you wear them you will stick out like a sore thumb. However, it will definitely rain while you are in places like England, so bring water resistant shoes. You’ll want to blend in and soak up the culture, and consequentially have to soak up a few pairs of shoes, but it gives you more room in the suitcase to pack other boots so it’s not too bad. All about perspective people!

Leave the stilettos at home!! Wedges are your friend on these cobble stone streets. Almost everywhere you’ll travel will have streets paved with cobble stone, and the only girls you see in heals are the ones that didn’t have a friend tell them NO; so wedges and flats only. Your ankles will thank us later.

Accessories are your BFF while abroad. Hats, necklaces, rings, bracelets, and satchels add to every outfit. The small things end up making a difference so pack your favorite pieces.

Do not forget about the non-fashion essentials. You do need to pack a few items that you may not have considered. Combination lock for hotels, refillable water bottle, over the counter medication (there are pharmacies abroad but they’re not usually American products), and converters. If you plan on traveling to several countries and continents, go to Staples and purchase the electric converter that works all over the world. It will be a life saver for you and your friends!

These are just a few of our own suggestions, but there are plenty of lists online that can steer you in the right direction based on your precise location abroad. Remember many items can be purchased when you get there! Honestly, the packing was the worst part. Our Her Campus girls have been away 2 months now and have never once felt like they didn’t have enough. While you’re abroad, you have the world at your dispense so you won’t be worrying about what you leave behind. So say farewell to those jeans that don’t go with anything and say hello to the world. 

Bryant University student. Feminist. Traveler. Coffee enthusiast.