How to Not Gain Weight Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

How do we conquer the inevitable event of delicious food being placed in huge portions on our dinner tables without gaining an enormous amount of weight? It seems impossible. From turkey, to stuffing, to the buttery corn being cooked all day… it is entirely too hard to stay away and stick to something healthy such as salad. But what if I told you that there are some ways that you can avoid taking in way too many calories? The following tips will actually help you throughout the day and the left overs by giving you more options to veer away from the absurdly yummy food.

1. Eat Breakfast!

By eating a nutritious and filling breakfast you can avoid getting too hungry later on in the day. By not eating breakfast, you will become hungrier and hungrier as the day goes on, causing you to binge eat and take in all of those fats that come along with the scrumptious food.

2. Eat the turkey meat, not the skin!

Turkey skin is actually the part of the turkey that is the highest in fat. Stick to the meaty part!

3. Don’t snack

We all know appetizers and finger foods are gathered alongside that dinner table. Avoid the cookies your aunt brought or the chips and dip. Although we think we are only eating little portions, we lose sight of just how much we are eating. In other words, do not snack! Enjoy your meal when it comes time to sit and eat.

4. Seconds…Don’t do it.

This is the ultimate problem. We all think we can eat seconds but in reality this is why everyone is gaining weight from this holiday. Save the extras for tomorrow or just savor the taste!

5. Chew gum!

Sounds crazy right? Chewing gum will actually help you avoid hunger. The longer you chew, the less hungry you will get over time. So don’t hug your relatives with harsh thanksgiving breath and chew gum all day!

6. Portion Control!

Now this is a holiday, remember. We all want to enjoy every delicious dish on the table. So whatever you like, eat, just make sure you do it in small portions. Don’t go crazy ignoring those fattening sides but instead just get smaller sizes and enjoy!

7. Drink fluids!

Believe it or not, the more water you drink the more full you will feel. Try drinking water throughout the day and with your meal. While you’re hydrating your body, you’re avoiding the sugary beverages such as sodas and alcohol while also filling yourself up.

8. Lessen the butter intake!

If you are cooking this is great for you! You have full authority of just how much fat is going into all the dishes you are creating. Items such as veggies are usually cooked with an abundance of butter and actually end up being bad for people. Instead, try using a substitute or simply using less!

9. Don’t Stress!

This is one of the most hectic times of the year, but why don’t we all try not to be too stressed? If we control our stress levels, we actually will gain less weight from this enticing holiday. So remember, stress causes us to gain weight.

10. Get prepared the week before

Has anyone ever even considered this? If we actually take in less calories the entire week before, we can avoid over indulging in food. The practice of eating less throughout the week will actually slow down our hunger and make us crave less. It will also allow you the privilege of eating more on thanksgiving! But don’t forget, one day won’t kill you.

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.