This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Freshman year is exciting — new people, new friends, new boys! During freshman year, especially in the beginning of the year, most students just want to fit in. Navigating college isn’t easy, but Her Campus has a few tips to help you avoid being “that freshman”.

1. DON’T take a bag with you to the townhouses.

There’s really no need to have one. Just bring your ID and key so you can get back into your room. A little tip so you don’t lose your key: wrap it in a hair tie and keep it on your wrist. You’ll see a lot of upperclassman girls doing this, so follow in their footsteps. You don’t need any money or credit card at Bryant on a typical night out at the townhouses.

2. DON’T wear your lanyard around your neck.

If you want to have a lanyard that is totally fine, but either put it in your pocket or in your backpack. If you don’t want to stick out as being a freshman, take this tip seriously or you’ll be spotted a mile away — ‘specially when you are out drinking.

3. DON’T get transported

Learn your limits. Be careful and drink responsibly. Don’t rip shot after shot if you don’t have much experience drinking. If a DPS officer finds you unconscious or throwing up on yourself, you will be transported. So be safe and stick with good friends!

4. DON’T fall in love with the first boy you meet

Freshman boys are not ready for commitment. Don’t fall for the first one you meet. Make a bunch of friends, see what happens, and go with the flow!

5. DON’T wear a crop top that is basically a bra

Come on ladies, let’s all have some class. We don’t care if you are rocking a sick six pack —  don’t walk around half naked, especially considering it’s usually cold at night and you’ll most likely be outside.

6. DON’T wear your class of 2020 shirt to class

As cute as some of you may think it is, no one wears those shirts to class.  Save it for sleeping, hanging in your room, or the gym, or else you’ll be known as a freshman at first sight.

7. DON’T eat super unhealthy food at Salmo

Put back the fries and the pizza. It isn’t worth it, especially the deserts. If you want to treat yourself, go off campus and eat somewhere where the food that’s bad for you actually tastes good.

8. DON’T take alcohol from a fridge in a townhouse

First of all, that is beyond rude. If you are mad that your alcohol got dumped from DPS, don’t just take a seniors’. Go back to your room and drink a little, then walk back down. The beauty of Bryant is nothing is more than a 10 minute walk, so bring a friend back to your dorm and grab some of your own booze.

9. DON’T walk into random people’s houses that you don’t know

Especially if it isn’t a party! Don’t invite yourself into someone’s home under the excuse, “I have to pee.” Not everyone goes out, and a few unknowing seniors sitting in their living room don’t need to let you use their toilet. Try and go at a house that is having a party.  It might be gross, but you got to do what you got to do.

10. DON’T go upstairs in someone’s house

If you don’t know the person having the party, don’t walk around and explore. Don’t hang out upstairs and use their bathroom unless they say it’s okay. Many people only keep the downstairs bathroom available if they are having a party, so get in line and wait it out.

If you follow these tips, they should help you blend in.  College is hard, so we at Her Campus are just trying to make your first semester a little bit easier!