How to Grocery Shop on a Ramen Noodle Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We all know that here at Bryant the seniors live in townhouses. This also means we can choose to be self-sufficient by fending for ourselves and not have a meal plan. As we begin to cook for ourselves it does not take too long to realize that cooking three meals a day is a lot harder than it sounds. That’s why we have found a few ways to save you a couple of bucks, and we thought we would share it with our fellow classmates.

1.     Start off by buying the basics.

-Put down that package of Oreos. Trust us, you do not really need it. Instead, get the basics such as bread, milk, eggs, pasta, rice…etc. There are many ways you can use these items for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

2.     Do not buy name brand items.

-This can be sometimes difficult because you know you like that certain brand. Often the off brand is just as good as the name brand. Don’t get us wrong, sometimes it is fun to splurge a little and get a carton of Ben and Jerrys, but make it easy on your wallet and stick to no brand names.

3.     Make a list of exactly what you need from the store.

-You often go in to the store thinking you know what you need, but you always end up forgetting something or buying something you already have enough of. Make a list beforehand so that you go in knowing exactly what you need.

4.     Once you have your food items, cook in bulk.

-Many of us are not ones for left overs, but we have learned to love them. At the beginning of the week find a recipe that you like and can make a large quantity of. This way you can package up the left overs and hopefully they will last for a couple of lunches or dinner. We recommend making one pot of pasta, chili, and cooked chicken. If you really feel like challenging yourself try make a large portion of lasagna or a casserole.

5.     Invest in a crockpot.

-These little inventions are great. Put a meal in right before your 9am class and come home in the afternoon and your meal is waiting patiently for you. You can always go to our good friend Buzzfeed to look up crockpot recipes. Or, recently stores have been putting together pre-made crockpot meals.

6. A list of grocery stores to shop at for us suffering college students.

– Finally, we have come up with a list of grocery stores close to campus. We have ranked them from the least expensive to the most expensive.

Aldi:

Many of you have probably never heard of this store but it is great for a college student on a budget. If you do not mind buying off brand items this is the store for you! Don’t get us wrong they do carry some name brand items but still at a reasonable price. They have also recently started selling glutton-free and organic items. Aldi’s is only 7 miles away from campus.

Ocean State Job Lot:

Here you will not find milk or eggs, only dry foods. They have a surprisingly big selection of food products. We also recommend going there for any cookware you may need. Ocean State Job Lot is 3.2 miles away from campus.

Stop and Shop:

At Stop and Shop you will find many of your typical brand name food items. If you are interested in off brands they also carry their own brand for many of the food items. We have found that having a Stop and Shop card will save you quite a few dollars. They offer weekly card specials and checkout coupons when you shop. Stop and Shop is 3.2 miles away from campus.

Target:

Not only can you find food here, but you can also find many items you’ll need for your kitchen and the rest of your house. Target’s food selection is a little smaller than normal super markets but you will be able to find all of your basics. They also carry their own brand for many food items. Often the convenience of doing all your shopping at one place outweighs the price. Target is 4.4 miles away from campus.

Dave’s Marketplace:

Dave’s is on another level than the grocery stores we have mentioned earlier. If you do not mind spending the extra dollar for higher quality food we recommend shopping here. You’ll find organic food galore and any name brand product you are searching for. We also recommend their delicious brick oven pizza. Dave’s Marketplace is 3.5 miles away from campus.

We hope this has helped make your transition to a semi self-sufficient adult easier. Give it a few more weeks and you will figure out the best way to cook for yourself. We believe in you!