How To Create Your Own Sunshine on A Rainy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Although it has been beautiful here in Rhode Island the past couple weeks, we are used to lots of rain. So here at HC, we wanted to give you some ideas to keep busy on those rainy days where all you want to do is stay in your dorm.

A twist on a movie day

Instead of staying in all day and watching your favorite movies, turn to Netflix. Netflix is full of random unknown movies, so pick the ones with the cutest guys on the covers, or with the best title and give them a shot. Have fun making fun of the story lines with your friends and talking about how cute this random actor is. And you never know you might find a new favorite movie! You might only last a half hour with some of the movies, but see how many you can get through!

Painting!

Grab some supplies next time you are at Michaels or Joann’s to be prepared for a fun arts and crafts day.  All you need is a couple of canvases, some of your favorite paint colors, and a few paint brushes and your set. And just a heads up, before you head over to Michaels, download their app on your phone, they have great coupons to use!

Cook

If you’re in a townhouse, or have the ability to use a kitchen, get creative! Look up recipes on Pinterest and see what you can make with whatever’s lying in your cabinets. Who knows you could end up making some great meals and snacks. Another thing to do while cooking is to make a recipe book for the future of all your favorite foods and drinks. Be creative, colorful and have fun with it!

Pamper yourself

Get you and your friends together and do mani pedis. We all have plenty of nail polishes lying around so trade colors with your friends and go all out with a mani pedi.

Games

If you say you don’t like games like Catch Phrase, you’re lying. Get all your friends and neighbors together and play a huge game of Catch Phrase…trust us, it will be fun.

Organize your music

Make playlists for every scenario. For those lazy Sundays, drowsy Mondays, late night study sessions and for the party you’re throwing Friday night. There can be a playlist for every time in your life, so why not have one waiting for you in your iTunes.  Or check out 8Tracks.  You literally type in your mood and playlists will pop up…how perfect?

Organize your life

Although this might not be the most fun thing to do, getting youself organized on a lazy rainy day is perfect. Look at all of your work for the next couple of weeks and map out what you need to do. Clean out your closet and get rid of all those close you never wear (and donate or sell them). Clean out your desk drawers, if you’re like me, there’s more junk in there than you know. Go through your documents and folders on your computers to make your computer life a little less cluttered. There’s always organizing to do in your life so why not do it while its crappy outside.

Hopefully these ideas will help you get through those rainy days that Rhode Island never fails to give us.

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.