How to be a Vegetarian at Salmo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Let’s face it, we all get sick of Salmo. While it may have its good days where wholesome, and sometimes delicious, food is served, the days when Salmo leaves students disgusted and hopeless are far too many. Often, especially when the weekend rolls around, there are few options that do satisfy even the least picky of student eaters. Unfortunately, there is little we can do about this.  Even more unfortunate is all the suffering done by vegetarians who must endure Salmo.  Well, look no further! A vegetarian’s guide to eating at Salmo is here!

The most important thing to remember is balance. According to The USDA’s MyPlate, Americans should be consuming different food groups at every meal.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/images/MyPlateImages/JPG/myplate_blue.jpg

The following is recommended for 19-30-year-old women:

–          Fruits: 2 cups (1 cup= a cup of grapes, a large banana, a slice of watermelon, ½ cup of raisins, 8 large strawberries)

–          Vegetables: 2.5 cups (1 cup= 1 cup most cooked vegetables, medium sized potato/sweet potato, 2 large stalks of celery)

–          Grains: 6 ounce equivalents (1 ounce= 1 mini bagel, 1 slice of bread, ½ cup of cooked rice/pasta, 3 cups of popcorn)

–          Protein Foods: 5 ½ ounce equivalents (1 ounce= 1 ounce cooked fish, 1 egg, ½ ounce of nuts or 12 almonds, 24 pistachios, 7 walnut halves, ¼ cups of cooked beans)

–          Dairy: 3 cups (1 cup= 1 cup of milk, 8 ounces of yogurt, 1 ½ ounces of hard cheese, ½ cup shredded cheese)

–          Oils: 6 teaspoons (1 tablespoon of margarine= 2.5 teaspoons of oil, 2 tablespoons of Italian dressing= 2 teaspoons of oil, 1 ounce of sunflower seeds= 3 teaspoons of oil)

Maintaining the perfect servings per day of each food group would be exhausting- no one wants to count how much of each they are consuming 3 times a day.  Below is a list of ideas for Salmo meals that hit all the food groups, meat-free!

Veggie Wrap from the Sandwich Line- This option is great because it is loaded with veggies, and hopefully includes a whole grain wrap.  Trade in mayo for hummus to cut down on fats, and add cheese for a bit of dairy and protein.

Fish Entrée (For fish and egg eating vegetarians)- Salmo does offer fish from time to time and it is an excellent way to get some protein.  With your fish have some cooked veggies or a salad, and a side of bread for a fulfilling meal.

Veggie Patty & Baked Potato- After filling half your plate with the cooked vegetable offering of the day, load up a potato and grab a veggie patty.  The patty will add some protein and compliment the vegetables and starch nicely.

Loaded Salad- The salad bar offers some great options for a salad that is anything but ordinary. Top it off with a winning combination of craisins for a bite of sweetness and a scoop of feta cheese.  Tofu or hardboiled eggs can be added for additional protein.

Sushi & Side Salad- Sushi, whether it contains seafood or not, is a perfect pair to a salad.  Sushi with tuna, crab, or shrimp is a plus for necessary protein (for fish and egg eating vegetarians).  Have a bowl of mixed fruit for dessert and you will be satisfied for hours.

Veggie Pizza- While a traditional veggie pizza is rarely offered at Salmo, one can always be made by crafty vegetarians.  Take a slice and add vegetables from the salad line! I recommend peppers, carrots, onions, and tomatoes.

PB & J- Take a walk down memory lane and make yourself your favorite childhood lunch.  Peanut butter is a good source of oil as well as protein.  Make your sandwich with whole grain bread and the jelly offered that day.  You can’t go wrong with an apple and the chips at the end of the sandwich line, too!

Bean Salad- Unless you examine the salad bar, you may miss the beans at the end near the dressing.  When your plate is lacking protein (like most vegetarian plates do), take a scoop of bean salad on its own, or on a salad, to keep yourself full and energized throughout the day.

Anytime-of-the-Day Breakfast- It’s one of those days when nothing looks appetizing except cereal.  Go eat the cereal! Add some milk for dairy and make a fruit cup, too.  Take a hardboiled egg from the salad line and it will really feel like breakfast.

More often than not, vegetarians have trouble getting all of the protein suggested in their daily diets.  To combat this, nuts, protein bars, and cereals with added protein are perfect snacks.  Focusing on making it part of every meal is also vital for a healthy diet.

Even though four years of cafeteria food doesn’t sound exciting, hopefully these meals and tips can help Bryant vegetarians survive Salmo.