This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

So you found out you’re allergic to Latex… now what?

Finding out about an allergy is no laughing matter. An allergy to latex may seem funny at first but it can have some serious consequences if not properly cared for. Therefore, being prepared is always the first step.

There are always several options out there in order to refrain from latex. There are the latex-free condoms that are made from either polyurethane or polyisoprene. Polyurethane is a synthetic polymer that can replace a natural rubber and still work in the same manner. Polyisoprene is a newer alternative to natural latex. These types are known to be softer and more elastic which provide a more natural feel.

Some examples of these latex-free products are Lifestyles Skyn, Durex Avanti Bare, Trojan™ Supra™ Bareskin™ Lubricated, Trojan™ Naturalamb™ Luxury condoms.

Other forms of birth control are FC2s (aka women condoms) and natural skin condoms, which are just as effective. The FC2 is inserted into the vagina prior to sex. One extreme advantage to this type of birth control is that it used by the woman and will work no matter what size they are. The natural skin condoms are made from sheep intestines. (Sounds gross, just don’t think about it during sex and you’ll be fine). These types of condoms can be used to prevent pregnancy yet should not be used to prevent the transfer of STIs.

Hopefully by using these other latex-free options you can avoid any allergic reactions between you and your partner!

Sources used: http://polyisoprenecondoms.com/

http://www.yourtango.com/experts/lucky-bloke/4-fantastic-alternatives-latex-condoms-expert

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.