jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Avoid An Awkward Hook-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Here’s what we at Her Campus have to say on the topic of hook-ups: they can either be mutually beneficial or can end in a disaster. Before even thinking about engaging in this kind of “relationship” you have to consider the pros and cons. You might not want to hear that, but it’s especially true if you’re debating hooking-up with a good friend. Things can become super uncomfortable if a hook-up goes awry: the stare-downs in the hallways, keeping your head down while walking to class, or even leaving a party early because you just can’t stand to look them in the eyes. Some things are just not worth putting yourself through, especially on a small college campus.

So here are some tips to help you survive that awkward situation.

• If it’s mutual and things just happen to go wrong- talk it over. Sometimes the best way to get over something is to discuss what happened and move on from there.

• Avoid random hook-ups that happen while you’re out on the weekend by- staying away from too much alcohol. Drinking too much can severely distort your standards and cause some situations that should have never happened. Also, make sure your friends are paying attention. They shouldn’t let you go home with some weird person you just met. If they are good wingmen (women) this won’t happen.

• Always weigh your options- if you think it’ll end badly, or destroy a relationship…Stay away!

• When you next see them in person- don’t let them think you were defeated or are dismayed by the situation. Walk tall and if there is eye contact, say hello. Don’t make it weirder than it is. You know each other, so act like it.  

Everyone wants their college years to be fun and exciting, but that won’t be the case if you’re hiding from last weekend’s hook-up. Deciding on a hook-up is like any other choice you would make… so why not take a minute to consider your options? If you’re buying a new car, you wouldn’t just pick the first one you see in the lot and take it home! You’d want to take it for a test drive or kick the tires or something like that, wouldn’t you? The same goes for choosing your next hook-up: you can afford to be a little picky!

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.