Holiday Stress: Dealing with Your Significant Other’s Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The holiday season is quickly approaching! When you think about the holidays there are usually mixed emotions- there is so much happiness but it is paired with some stress! There are many aspects that go into the holidays; decorating, celebrating, party planning, and lots of work. Plenty of stress can come from planning or hosting the holidays. A holiday can be especially stressful when you spend it with your significant other’s family. Whether meeting them for the first time, or meeting extended family, that alone puts a lot of pressure on you! We have to make sure we look and act accordingly. No matter what, there will be millions of questions going through your mind, “Do I get them a gift?”, “Do I bring them anything?”, “Do I look like the ideal significant other?”. You go into instant panic, and the only reassuring words we hear are from our significant other saying, “It’s going to be okay!”, or “You look fine!!”. This will never stop us from worrying.

Then you get there and start sweating at the thought of doing something wrong. It seems impossible to act like yourself, but you just need to breathe. In that state of panic, deep breaths will help calm you down. The idea is to be yourself, and be confident. The rest will come easy. It’s not as bad as it seems, it’s bound to happen at some point. Good luck and Happy Holidays!