Freshman Story: Ways to Stay Safe on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Bryant University is generally a very safe campus. In fact, Seventeen Magazine ranked Bryant the #1 Safest Campus in the United States, as well as the #1 Most Attractive campus on the East Coast! Regardless, every student must still take precautions to keep themselves and their property secure. Doing these simple things will make your college experience a fun and safe time!

1.       Put the campus emergency numbers in your phone, such as DPS, Health Services, Women on Call, your RA and RD, and Facilities. DPS stands for the on campus “police” called the Department of Public Safety. They are full-time staff members who are trained to enforce campus rules as well as the law. Officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and monitor the premises at fixed posts including the Entry Control Station at the main entrance to the campus.

2.       Make sure the door to your dorm is locked at all times! This is a simple but IMPORTANT rule to follow. Although you may not think people will come into your room and take things, incidents of stealing have happened in the past. Better safe than sorry!

3.       Also, do not leave expensive items in your car, especially not in sight. Even though DPS patrols parking areas regularly, they cannot guarantee that nothing will be taken from parked cars. Also, check on your car from time to time and make sure it’s locked!

4.       Don’t let anyone into your hall that you don’t know. All the halls on campus automatically lock after 11 pm, and the only way in is to scan your Bryant ID. If the person isn’t supposed to be in your hall, at least you weren’t the person to let them in.

5.       Be careful with your keys and ID. Losing your keys and Bryant ID can be an inconvenient and costly problem. If you lose them, call DPS because they are often brought lost and found items. However, if they don’t show up, make sure you take responsibility and get a new ID as well as buy another key. Have your ID cancelled so that people don’t spend your money or meals.

6.       Bring a safe to keep in your room. Small safes are an effective and easy way to keep your belongings secure. Keep your wallet, electronics, lap, top, jewelry, and any other important items locked in there for extra safety. When you’re meeting so many people freshman year, you never know when someone has “sticky fingers” and will take your stuff. Also, don’t keep the safe in plain sight, put it in your closet or under your bed for discreteness.

7.       Don’t leave your stuff unattended. Whether you are in the Roto, the library, the Fisher Student Center or the townhouses, don’t leave your stuff lying around. Especially when you are out at the townhouses on the weekend, don’t bring anything you are planning on leaving aside until you’re ready to leave. Always keep your belongings on you in a clutch or pocket, and avoid bringing a jacket. If you have to bring a jacket, don’t bring one you love because there are often incidents of people taking others jackets.

8.       Make sure someone knows where you are at all times when going out at night, especially if you are going off campus. You don’t have to tell them all the details, but it is always good for someone to know where you are in case something happens.

9.       Be careful who you hang out with. If people are doing something you are not comfortable with or that could get you in trouble, it’s a good idea to get out of the situation. You never know when things can take a turn for the worst.

10.    Know your limits. Yes, we’re talking about alcohol. Don’t think you can drink a handle of vodka or a 12 pack of beer on your own. College is a huge temptation to drink – and drink a lot. But make sure you know how much you can handle, and don’t get out of control. That’s never fun, and you don’t want to be “that” freshman who gets transported.

11.   Keep yourself healthy. Get enough sleep, eat a balanced meal, and make sure to relax to keep stress levels down. If you are starting to feel sick, make an appointment Health Services. Also, Counselling Services is a great resource that is underused! Going to the gym is also a great way to keep yourself healthy.