Free Day Trips You Have To Take This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Even if you cannot afford to travel every weekend this spring, you can still treat yourself to a “day-cation” away from school! There are always fun things to do around New England, especially spending a day in the city – and it doesn’t have to break the bank. So choose your favorite city, get set, and go!

New York City:
NYC is a fantastic place to get away for a day – there are countless free things to do whether you are window shopping 5th Ave, walking around Central Park, or going to the many museums and galleries scattered around the city. The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology is the only museum in NYC dedicated exclusively to the art of fashion! This is a must see for fashionistas everywhere. Currently on display is the “Shoe Obsession” exhibit, featuring more than 150 extravagant shoes. For more information about the Museum at FIT visit their website!

To find more free galleries, museums, and other attractions that interest you, visit this website! The website is constantly updated and even features a “Free This Week” section.

Boston:
Boston is home to countless free activities to fill your day. The city is filled with history and fun stuff to do.  If you’re into hiking with a bit of history, you can walk the Freedom Trail, JFK Trail, or Irish Heritage Trail to get a glimpse of the past. If you’re not much into history, there is also a Boston Sports Trail, featuring the different Boston teams and other sport memorabilia including some from the Boston Marathons. On another note, there are plenty of parks scattered around Boston to explore.

You can also walk through Harvard Square, which is home to Harvard University and more than 300 registered street performers! And when you’ve had enough walking for the day, finish with a tour of Sam Adams Brewery or Harpoon Brewery, which finishes with a tasting! To find more information, as well as more free things to do, visit here!

Providence:

Even Providence has fun free things to do..and it’s super close to Bryant! One of the most popular attractions is Thayer Street, which has countless restaurants, small shops, and galleries to enjoy. Walking the street and window shopping is great for the afternoon. Also nearby Thayer, is the Rhode Island School of Design’s Art Museum, which features both historical and contemporary art. Currently the museum is displaying a funny exhibit called “Sassy Signs and Sculptures”.

Admission is free if you show your Bryant ID!

Another must see attraction in Providence is the Roger Williams Park. Bring a lunch and take a break with a picnic in the expansive park!

No matter where you are this spring, with a little bit of looking there’s fun things to do for free all around you! Whether you’re into sports, music, history, or fashion; grab a friend and go exploring!