Diwas Puri: Fullbright Scholarship Recipient

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.
Name: Diwas Puri

Graduation Year: 2017

Major/minor: Major Actuarial Mathematics, Minor CIS and Global Politics

Hometown: Thimphu, Bhutan

Involvements on Campus: Bryant Model United Nations, Actuarial Club, Honors Program

Favorite Part of Bryant: The tight knit community.

HC: What is the Fulbright Program?

DP: It is a flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government given to those individuals, from participating countries, which have shown high degree of achievements in their field of study. 

HC: How has your life changed since you’ve been awarded the Fulbright Scholarship?

DP: A lot of things has happened since I was awarded the Fulbright Scholarship. From getting the opportunity to study in the United States to making awesome friends, my life has turned around. I have been given resources and opportunities to do what I love.

HC: Why did you choose to attend Bryant University?

DP: I didn’t have anything to do with the application to Bryant University. The people at Institute of International Education who oversee the Fulbright Program, did everything. I only gave them what I wanted to study in which case it was actuarial math. So, they chose Bryant University for me. I didn’t know about Bryant University until I got accepted, just over one month before I stepped foot on the campus. When I did reach Bryant, I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the campus was and how friendly everyone was to one another. 

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

DP: After graduation, Fulbright offers an optional 18 month long program of academic training to reinforce upon what we have studied at our college. I am considering participating on the program. If situation dictates otherwise, I will go back to Bhutan and work there.