Director of Student Life- Rich Hurley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Rich Hurley

University (Year):  Bryant University (2004)

Major/Minor: Management/Communication

Hometown: Johnston RI

Job Title: Director of Student Life @ Bryant U

HC: What drew you to Bryant University over other schools to work at?

RH: To be completely honest, I never planned to return to Bryant as an administrator when I graduated in 2004. I had the most incredible undergraduate experience possible at Bryant and I never wanted to change that experience by working here. But in 2007 I was working in Residence Life at Roger Williams and I heard about the job posting at Bryant. I had always said that my next step in higher education would be working in either leadership or community service and oddly enough the job at Bryant was in both leadership and service. It was fate and I knew I needed to at least apply. Being a Bryant alum is an absolute honor, but being chosen to work at Bryant was a top 5 life moment for me and it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.  

HC:  Did you ever have an alternative “Dream Job” that you wanted to do?

RH: This is my dream job and I am blessed to have realized very early on what I was meant to do and where my passions lie. I have always said that one day I would love to be a professor for a master or doctoral program focusing in student affairs and higher education. Helping transform someone else’s student affairs experience would be incredible and I hope to make that dream come true some day.

HC: How has Bryant impacted your career today?

RH: I have received opportunities at Bryant that will forever shape my higher education experience. Opportunities such as helping students facilitate meaningful and impactful programs, getting the chance to supervise incredibly devoted professionals like Daphney Joseph and Matt Kreimeier, creating the Bryant It Gets Better video, redeveloping our Linked Through Leadership Program have all been pinnacle moments for me. Beyond these experiences, I get to be a part of my students “aha” moments, life lessons and personal accomplishments which give me unexplainable pride and makes my life richer each and every day.  

HC: Tell us about one of your best experiences as Director of Student Life.  

RH: There are so many but being a part of the 2 year renovation process and opening of the Fisher Student Center ha s been one of the most challenging, rewarding, collaborative, and exciting experiences of my career. The work is far from over but the journey has been amazing and I love that my alma mater is a better place because of its new “Campus Living Room”.

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.