Bryant’s Own Rocky: Raquel Cordeiro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The majority of our time outside of class at Bryant is spent at various meetings for group proects, different clubs and organizations. However, I do not think there are a lot of students (if any) at Bryant who hold as many leadership positions and are as academically successful as Raquel Cordeiro. This year she had the special honor of being chosen to be ‘Top Dog’ among all the Bulldog Leaders. For the past three years she has had the pleasure of helping freshmen move in. On top of that she is the Women’s Basketball Manager and Vice President of Bryant Marketing Association among many other things. She is one of the most amazing bestfriends any girl (or guy) could ever ask for. When you become friends with someone as special as Raquel, you know she’s either going to be one of the briedesmaids at your wedding or the one planning the whole wedding!

Name: Raquel Cordeiro
Bryant Graduation Year: 2013
Major/Minor: Marketing / Communications
Hometown: Danbury, CT

HC: Ok so you just finished helping the class of 2016 move in to Bryant University! That must have been exhausting. Four years ago when you moved in did you think you would be one of those seniors or better yet – Top Dog?

Raquel: I never thought I could be such a role model as Top Dog. My entire Bryant experience has come full circle. Starting out as a first-year student freshman year I was so nervous and anxious. Since then, I’ve become a Bulldog Leader in my Sophomore and Junior years. Applying for Top Dog was a no brainer. There’s something about working and leading 22 Bulldog Leaders and moving in about 800 first-year students that keeps me coming back. Each and every Bulldog Leader and first-year student I’ve met has made this an unforgettable and rewarding experience. Most importantly, I’ve been able to become a motivating and enthusiastic leader and started to feel like I was making a difference to Bryant students.

HC: In addition to being Top/Bulldog Leader you are also the Women’s Basketball Manager and a Bryant Ambassador! How do you juggle everything and still maintain to stay on Dean’s List every semester?

RC: Extracurricular activities allow me to establish structure and a routine in my schedule. I get to do what I love every day. Working as the Team Manager for the Women’s Basketball Program has been the opportunity of a lifetime. It takes up much of my time, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The coaches and players have made me a member of the team and given me lots of responsibilities that allow me to be an asset to the team.

Being a Bryant Ambassador in my freshman year has truly made me realize how much I love Bryant. Giving tours and speaking with prospective students is so unique. I get to tell them why I love being here and share with them my positive experiences. The juggling of everything keeps me busy but I get to interact with so many different people and grow as an individual. In the end I know I have to get school work done in between activities, pretty much giving me no chance to procrastinate. Keeping yourself busy is a great reason to get good grades!

HC: As a fellow Bryant University student I have noticed that you are someone other students, especially underclassmen, truly appreciate. What is the best part of being such a positive presence on campus?

RC: I looked up to so many upperclassmen as a freshman. They inspired me to find myself and really make the best of my four years. I never thought when I came here four years ago I could return the favor. There’s no better feeling than a first-year student coming up to you and saying “You gave me my Bryant tour,” and actually seeing them as students! The best part of being a positive presence is the reward. Knowing that I was able to influence a student to attend Bryant and be a student leader to them. Nothing compares to helping shape someone’s Bryant experience positively.

HC: Your work ethic is one that I truly admire. How do you maintain great time management skills? 

RC: Staying involved and keeping a busy schedule has helped me establish great time management. I tend to do better in all my classes the more I do! So far it’s worked for me. Finding things I enjoy doing has resulted in better grades.

HC: Your resume must definitely be an impressive one! What future plans does an accomplished student like you have after graduation?

RC: I had a wonderful opportunity to intern at EMC Corporation this summer in Franklin, MA in Inside Sales. I learned more than I ever thought, and recently received a full-time offer to return after graduation. Although nothing is set in stone, my campus activities and Bryant academics have already paid off. It’s so great to hear that employers want to hire Bryant students and I’m thrilled to have received an offer before senior year even started. I also plan to get my Master’s degree and do some traveling after graduation.

HC: Bryant University offers its students a lot of opportunities to take part in extracurricular activities and network with some amazing companies. As a senior what advice would you give to incoming freshmen regarding all the opportunities they could take advantage of at Bryant?

RC: Just about every Bryant student is involved in one club, activity, or organization on campus. I encourage freshman to get outside of their dorm rooms and do something! There is something for everyone on campus, and if there isnt’t, you can start your very own club or organization. It’s important to get involved and find out what you like to do to keep busy and ultimately allow you to become a well-rounded student to employers.

HC: I know this question is going to be a tough one, but what will you miss about Bryant once you graduate?

RC: The one thing I will miss most about Bryant is the community and family I’ve made here. Bryant University has truly been my home the past 4 years. President Machtley has created a sense of community here. Each person genuinely cares for each other and that’s something I could get nowhere else.