Bryant Graduate: Joanna Powers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Joanna Powers
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Rhode Island Chapter
Graduation Year: 1996

HC: Tell us a little bit about your experience at Bryant. What did you major and minor in?

JP: When I started at Bryant in 1992 – it was the first year that Liberal Arts majors became official. I had hoped to attend another liberal arts school in the area, but happened upon Bryant for financial reasons.  I doubled majored in History and English – with a focus in Women’s Studies.  My time at Bryant was interesting, I was one of the only non-Business students on campus (at the time even liberal arts students were required to take 6 business courses) I did  NOT enjoy Accounting to say the least, but because I was one of so few, I received a lot of attention from the Liberal Arts Faculty. It was a once in a lifetime experience,  I learned from the best, assisted with projects and even got to help with editing a book that was eventually published!  In addition to my school work I was the co-founder of the Alliance for Women’s Awareness (AWA) and my time with that group really shaped who I am today. Bryant in the 1990’s was very conservative, and the idea of forming a women’s a group was not received well by all of the student body – but we pressed on and made ourselves visible – I was actually the first student to receive the Herstory award (a night I will never forget).    Socially things worked out for me as well, in addition to the friends I made via the groups I was involved with (AWA, Bryant Players)  I met a guy named Dave from Dorm 14 the first week of freshmen year and soon after we began dating – 20 years later we are now married and have an 8 year old son.

HC: What was your favorite part of Bryant when you were in our shoes? What do you miss the most?

JP: My favorite part of Bryant was that it was truly the time when I was able to be myself completely. I wasn’t afraid of what others thought of me – I worked hard at being an individual and not apologizing for who I was. I was strong, independent, had a lot of fun socially, got really involved on campus and overall enjoyed being a student. One of the best parts about being a student is that all your responsibilities (outside of a work, which I was also a student assistant in Faculty Suite K) are completely for yourself – school work, social clubs, etc. it was about working on things that would directly impact me.  This is what I think I miss the most about being at school.  College is a great time when you get a chance to have fun, learn more than you thought was possible and figure out who you are.  Not that I don’t know who I am now, but once you leave school, responsibilities change.  Now I have to consider not just what I am going to do for myself but how my decisions impact my family, my employer, and my financial stability.  I don’t want this to sound selfish, but looking back, college really is all about figuring out who you want to be and having fun while doing so. All my life’s milestones have their benefits but this was what I really take away from my college years. Everything changes when you have to go find a “job” and an apartment, etc.  When I was in college – my primary focus was myself and reflecting all these years later it’s really when I began to really develop who I was going to be.  Enjoy it – life is full of changes and stages but college is one that just can’t be replicated.

HC: What experiences at Bryant would you say helped you get you to where you are today?

JP: Definitely forming AWA – was a pinnacle point for me. It gave me the confidence that I needed to develop negotiation skills, learn that not everyone saw the world the way I did and also reinforced my convictions. It also made me realize that I wanted to serve for the greater good and do work that assisted others. I decided to join AmeriCorpsVISTA (the American version of the Peace Corps) and did so right after graduation – it was my confidence from forming this group that led me in that direction.

HC: How long have you worked for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and what is your favorite part about working for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society?

JP: I have been the Manager of Volunteer Development for the National MS Society – RI Chapter for a little over a year now. I worked for Girl Scouts of Rhode Island as the Director of Membership for 11 years prior. I have remained passionate about staying in non-profit management and I believe that volunteers are an organization’s best assets. My work with the MS Society is very personal – I was diagnosed with MS in 2005.  I enjoy telling people my story and getting them involved with the organization to help find a cure. It’s personally and professionally rewarding to work with individuals that all have the same purpose and goal in mind.

HC: Were you always interested in non-profit companies? Do you have any advice for students who want to work for a non-profit company?

JP: I always wanted to get involved with an organization that I felt would “give back” I think that what I have learned over the years is that working for a non-profit can make you a very well rounded employee. Resources are very limited so people are expected to do more than just the scope of their job many times – as a result I have had extensive experience in management, supervision, database creation, management and implementation, in addition to volunteer recruitment.  I truly believe that had I gone into the for profit sector, my resume would not be as rich and diverse. My advice for students looking into non-profit company is to get involved – become a volunteer and understand the organization. Business skills are important, so many non-profits are looking for people with business backgrounds so make sure you communicate your abilities.  Be involved – it’s the best way to turn a passion into a career – I’m living proof of that!