Bryant Alum: Shannon Dunnigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Shannon Dunnigan

Major/Minor: BS/BA – Marketing, MBA – Management

Graduated: 1993, 1997 MBA

Hometown: Providence, RI

HC: What was your job search experience like during senior year?

SD: I recall having quite a few interviews.  As a marketing major, I was set on finding a job in marketing versus sales, so passed on some sales positions.  Because my senior year internship continued into the summer, I felt OK about graduating without having secured my “dream job.”  Once that ended, I did some temp work at a few companies to get a feel for their organizations and corporate cultures, and to network a bit.  I temped and networked at one company in particular that I really liked.  After finishing my assignment there and moving on to another placement, I became aware of an exciting opportunity (coincidentally a sales position) with the first company.  Because of the networking I had done, I was able to pick up the phone, call the vice president of advertising and express my interest.  He said, “I’ll get you the interview, but you’ll have to get the job yourself.”  Fair enough…so I did. 

I’ve observed that many of today’s Bryant students do an even better job at this.  While I had a relevant internship, none of my part-time jobs (waitress at a nearby restaurant; secretary for campus Counseling Services; working at The Scoop; summer bank teller; and security guard at other colleges and universities, working for my family’s business) pertained to my concentration.  I see more and more students parlaying internships into part time jobs or merely finding related part time jobs directly and actually gaining experience in their field of study, while still in school.

HC:  Did you ever have a “Dream Job” that you wanted to do?

SD: I wanted to be Angela Bower from Who’s the Boss (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086827/ – broadcast in recent years on Nick at Nite, Ion Television, the Hallmark Channel and TV Guide Network), a really smart executive, working for a successful advertising agency.  I’ve since gotten a taste of the ad agency world through engagements with a few for various projects and initiatives.  While all really neat experiences, I have no regrets about the path I’ve ultimately taken thus far.

HC: How has Bryant impacted your career today? 

SD: The classes were a great foundation and springboard for real world experience.  The school has always been well respected for business, and that continues.  I know for a fact that in one situation I edged out a competitor for a promotion, thanks to my Bryant MBA.  I’m so proud of my Bryant degrees and am thrilled that they continue to appreciate with each wonderful institutional advancement.

HC: Any advice for undergrads?

SD: Network, network and then network some more.  In this day of digital connectivity, there’s no reason why you can’t pursue a passion, become educated about it and illustrate your knowledge of the subject through social media – specifically Linkedin and Twitter.  “Follow” influential people and companies.  Post intelligent and applicable articles, along with thoughtful notes about them, and folks may start to follow and endorse you.  Use the Bryant.edu database and Linkedin to find alums within certain industries, at specific companies or with job titles of interest…and then contact them!  Or contact someone who can introduce you to them.  I still do this to this day, and find alums to be extremely receptive.  To paraphrase a recent graduate, Colby Butler ’09, who networks like nobody’s business, make sure you bring something to the table and that it’s not just a one way street.  Learn about their business and think about people, companies and articles that may be useful to them.  While (as a student or brand new alum) you may not feel like you’re in a position to help the other person today, always think about how you may help her, down the road.  This bright young alum has already taken the initiative to connect me with meaningful contacts and is certainly one to watch!

Also, enjoy yourself!  Bryant is such a special place that cultivates incredibly strong bonds.  I forged lifelong relationships while there.  During my sophomore at Bryant, my mom passed away.  My Bryant friends and sorority sisters supported me immensely through that time.  Fast forward to nearly twenty years after graduating and I’m now expecting my first baby.  My amazing sister is hosting a HUGE baby shower for me this weekend.  Of the 71 wonderful family members and friends that will attend, nearly a third are from Bryant!

Photo: Shannon Dunnigan with Delta Zeta sisters during Greek Week cerca 1992!

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.