Boston Marathon: Explosions at the Finish Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Just before 3pm today, Monday, April 15th, two explosions occured at the Boston Marathon finish line. The explosions shook the crowds surrounding the finish line, and injured dozens of spectators, runners and emergency personel.  The two explosions occured 15 seconds apart, and a third explosion was just reported at 3:55 pm going off in a pre-suspected location by the Boston police. 

The first 2 explosions occured at the north side of Boylston Street two blocks apart from eachother, where hundreds of spectators were standing. Many witness reports from the spectators on what was seen on the sidewalks where the catastophy happened are the only answers police have at this point in time.    The fire and bomb squad are at the scenes responding to injuries and clearing the area.  

ABC News reported: “the race’s medical tent has become a makeshift morgue. Dealing with injuries including severed limbs and children with severe burns.” – Trama Nurse at the medical tent.

At 7:30pm, CBS reported that 2 people have been killed, and 86 people are being treated at local hospitals with many in critical condition. Some of the youngest injured from the bombing are only 2 years old. 

More information to come.

Sources:

huffingtonpost.com

abcnews.com

CBS.com

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.