Being a Big Sister: As Told by North West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

If you have little siblings you know one thing for sure, being a big sister is hard. Whether you’re the big sis yourself or you’ve seen yours in action you know there’s nothing quite like it.

You inevitably get chosen as “the responsible one” whether you are responsible or not.

You are always stuck matching your younger sib in family pics, even if you know you look stupid and your angel costume would have looked way better than this.

Your clothes magically start to disappear when your little sis realizes that, even though you have told her you aren’t, you actually are the same size.

Your parents will blame you for everything no matter if you did it or not because “you’re the older sister and you have to set a good example.”

There is a huge chance that you and your little sib will have stupid fights that seem to matter more than anything at the time, but you won’t remember two weeks later.

Everything you ever get into trouble for serves as a how-to manual for your little sibs so they can do the exact same stupid thing you did, just better and they’ll avoid getting caught.

There is always a person looking up to you who is bound to ask for advice about boys, clothes, school, or even which one of your parents to ask permission to go to that party this weekend.

You will always have someone to take on vacation, talk to, and do crazy spontaneous things with. Like meet a mermaid or something.

There is always someone who will copy everything you do, and even though it’s super frustrating, it’s flattering to know that someone thinks you’re cool enough to copy in the first place.

But the best part is, no matter what you go through or what happens in your life, you little sib will always be there for you and love you no matter what. 

Senior, marketing major from Pembroke MA.  Marketing and PR Chair for Bryant's Her Campus chapter.  Loves sharks.