7 Sex Positions to Heighten Burned Calories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We all can count our calories that we burn at the gym, but what about our extracurricular activity? We all hear that sex has many health benefits, but let’s face it, we don’t keep a track record of how much work we have done, when we’re that caught up in the moment. Don’t be ashamed to be curious! We are going to get down and dirty about what happens in the bedroom, dorm rooms shall I say, and figure out just how much good it does for our bodies. Here are seven sex positions that give you a great work out along with some other facts you never really knew about sex before, and how to heighten your calorie burning…but of course that’s the point of this article right? ;)

1. “Strictly Ballroom”-This is a position where your partner lifts you up and you wrap your legs behind his back…and go at it! Seemingly difficult? Wrong. Just remember in those love movies when you run towards your lover and jump on them and catch you? Yeah, do that and stay like that for a while. It burns a whopping 118 calories for the guys and 96 for the girls on average.

2. “Dinner is Served”-If the first one was too difficult for you, then try the same thing, just with your legs on his shoulders, yes I said it, legs on his shoulders while he holds you close to him by holding your hips. He will burn on average 101 calories and you will burn 96.

3. “Wheel Barrow”-This is a position where you are on your hands and knees, and the man is standing behind you, and lifts your legs up around his waist from behind. He will burn 100 calories on average and you will burn 96.

1. “Hobby Horse”-This is a position where the guy is laying in a plank on any surface with his feet flat on the floor, so that his body is in a 90 degree angle. The girl will straddle him without letting her feet ever touching the floor by keeping her knees in a bend. He will burn 118 calories, and you will burn about 120!

2. “Stand & Deliver”-This is a position for the very flexible. Here you and your partner are both standing, facing each other, and the lady lifts her leg so that her foot is resting on her partner’s shoulder…and the rest is magic! You will burn 90 calories from standing through this!

3. “The Crab”-This is a position where your partner is laying on their back, and you are on top of them facing them with your feet laying at their head or placed down on the bed for support while you do most of the work. This position gives you a great work out for your core and is very strengthening for your legs.

4. “Woman on Top”-This is a classic position where the woman is in control, but many people never really realize that you usually burn between 75 and 90 calories in this position. It is also a great workout for your core as well!

A few pointers when it comes to the fun is to make it loud, exotic, and personal. The louder you are during sex, the more calories you actually end up burning. Exotic: Change the scenery a little bit; choose a different surface to have sex or a different room or space. By doing so, this can create more resistance. For example, changing from the bed to the floor doesn’t give you as much bounce from the springs, and you have to do the work and use your energy yourself. Also, in a cramped space, it can be much more of a challenge to have sex, so try taking this challenge and enjoying it; everyone puts in more work when the pressure is on anyways. Lastly, personal: Being personal and kissing a lot tends to burn at least 70 more calories than if you were silent and barely had any contact, besides the obvious, so get dirty and have fun. Put effort into your workout, and always make the best of it. If you can’t feel it, fake it! Studies have shown that you burn more calories faking an orgasm than actually having one, almost 8 times the amount to be exact.

Jeanyne is a Literary and Cultural Studies major at Bryant University with a double-minor in Chinese and Business Administration. She grew up in Hyde Park, MA which is a neighborhood in Boston, and she takes a lotttt of pride in it. She is a Cheerleader for the Bryant University Bulldogs. She loves to read and write. She's also a Starbucks Barista and speaks fluent Mandarin :)