neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Going to College Far From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1.  Rent a storage unit! If you’re like most collgiettes, you have a LOT of stuff. Everything from winter coats and bedding to lamps and coffee makers can be stowed away when you leave campus for the summer or if you don’t have enough room in that tiny dorm room. 

2.  Get your “ship” on. When you realize you actually want that pair of booties before you go home for Thanksgiving, or anything else you forgot to pack, you’ll most likely be asking your mom to send it to you. Getting packages is almost as good as Christmas, and to your school friends you’ll seem totally loved. 

3. DON’T be afraid to try new things! You clearly are down to experiment because of the length you’ve gone just to go to school, but once you get there you have to get involved! This will help you find friends and a good support system away from home. 

4. Go through your closet. Be sparing with what clothes you bring home. You may think you need a winter coat before Thanksgiving, or that you still need those open toe pumps after but in reality, you don’t. Leave more space for some clothes you might buy…

5. Use your phone for GOOD. Forget all the times your mom told you to get off your phone, because she’ll be calling you at least once a day. And utilize those hometown group chats and social media to keep up with your friends’ business.