books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Working at the Sci Li with COVID-19 restrictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

When it was time for my first midterm this semester, I was nervous about where I should go to complete the exam. I knew I wouldn’t be able to focus in my dorm room, and taking a midterm outside didn’t seem like it would put me in the best headspace for a test. At first, I was hesitant to make a library reservation  given the time restraints and mask requirements, but I decided to give it a try anyways. I reserved a spot at the Sci Li so that I could easily get back to my dorm if I didn’t like it, but it turned out to be much better than I thought.

Reservations on the booking website are listed in two hour time slots, but I found that there were no problems staying in your reserved space past the time limit if nobody signed up after you. If you think you want to spend more than two hours at the library, it’s very easy to find a spot that is open for a longer period of time. Although I haven’t gone to any other floors of the Sci Li, the basement is always nearly empty. In the three times I’ve worked there this semester, I would say the max amount of people there with me at one time was five. One of my friends went to the Hay though, and she said it was more full. It’s easy to check the availability and business of each library on Brown’s LibCal.

While the emptiness in the Sci Li basement is somewhat eerie, it has its benefits. I definitely feel safe regarding COVID-19, as there is never anyone near me and there are plenty of wipes available to clean the space before sitting down. The work environment is always very quiet, which is really nice when I have to focus on something important. I think a lot of people feel like the library is not worth going to if you have to work with a mask the whole time, and this was definitely one of my concerns too. I’ve found that it’s really not that bad if you wear a mask that is easy to breathe in and comfortable. We’ve all been getting used to walking around in masks, so sitting with one while studying is not as bad as it may seem.

Since there are typically a lot of open bookings on LibCal, it makes it easy to reserve a spot in the library last minute. This is one of the best aspects of the system. While it is not as convenient as when we could all just walk into the library whenever we wanted, it is somewhat close to normal in that we can still decide to go to the library pretty much whenever we want.

Although my experience at the Sci Li has been pretty good, I don’t think I’ll use the library the same way I did previously. Last year, I often stopped by the library to do small assignments and readings, but that will not be the case this year. For simple things and routine assignments, I don’t need the environment that the library provides. However, if I am calling it close to a deadline or need to fully focus on something, I think going to the library is a great option for those more significant tasks. 

I’ve always benefited from having separation between my room as a space to relax and sleep and then buildings on campus as spaces to study and do assignments. Outdoor tables have been my favorite spots to work this semester, but the library provides a more serious work environment and is available no matter the weather conditions. The library is definitely different than it used to be, but that goes for most things on campus. It is still easily accessible and provides a work environment with no distractions or disturbances. If you’re looking for a place to write a tough paper or take an exam, I would recommend going to the library. The COVID-19 restrictions may seem daunting, but it is worth trying out if you have a hard time being productive in your dorm or apartment.

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.