why you *need* to watch ‘my mind & me’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Growing up in the 2000s, I would always be delighted to see the stunning Selena Gomez as Alex Russo in Wizards of Waverly Place appear on my T.V. screen. Seeing a Latina rule Disney Channel was transformative, even though 7-year-old me did not know it at the time. As I grew up and dealt with “real world” or “adult” problems, so did she. Selena Gomez bares it all— completely raw and real—in her documentary Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me.

Gomez gives viewers a turbulent look inside her last six years, unveiling several major mental and physical health battles. 

Gomez’s documentary, which premiered on November 4 on Apple TV+, excels at capturing Gomez’s raw, painful moments, including her lupus flare-up, bipolar diagnosis, and the impact of her public break up of her relationship with singer Justin Bieber.

Supplemented with Gomez’s narrations of her diary entries, My Mind & Me is victorious at being an honest portrayal of Gomez’s pain and triumphs. Directed by notable Alek Keshishian, who received widespread acclaim for his work on Madonna’s “Truth or Dare” documentary, My Mind & Me is bold, earnest, and a must watch. 

As an Apple TV+ exclusive, Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me normally requires a subscription to the platform to watch. Still, Gomez has announced that her fans can obtain 2 months free of Apple TV+.  

Junior at Brown University double majoring in International & Public Affairs and Public Health who is a California girl at heart, enjoys hot girl walks and spin classes, feels at home at the movie theater, and is a part-time Lululemon employee (<3 the discount)