Welcome Class of 2017!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

We’re here again. Another admission cycle past, another pack of eager teenagers swarming campus. You’re feeling old as f***.  2017, it sounds so futuristic! Thursday March 28, the University admitted 2,649 students into the class of 2017, or 9.2% of all applicants, a slightly lower percentage than last year.

We are forever reminded of how wonderful this school is, how we should take advantage of every opportunity given to us, and of the great privilege it is to call Brown home. Maybe we don’t always do this, but reflecting on these admissions stats—less than 1 in 10 getting in—it makes even the greatest cynic appreciate the lucky positions all Brown students are in.  

In my lovely discourse about luck I failed to mention the incoming prefrosh. A Day on College Hill, Brown’s admitted students event, will be held April 14-16, for a grand total of 3 days and 2 nights. “A Day”—what a misleading title. Last year about 780 students descended upon visited, and these year’s numbers will probably be similar. So be prepared for a crowded Ratty, lots of parents, and to get stopped at least five times a day for directions.

Now I’m not saying this is all bad. We were there at some point, deciding on colleges, absolutely giddy at our acceptance to Brown, and stalking all over that admitted student Facebook group (maybe some of us still do it. No judgment.). You can get involved with ADOCH by signing up to host or volunteering at ADOCH events like registration and the student activities fair. But if you want to be minimally involved, smile and be kind to the young ones. They’re just a little 

Student at Brown University