Ways to Give Back During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

While the holiday season has always been a time of celebration and giving back, this year is likely to look a lot different. Many Americans are suffering from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, with many having lost their jobs or a loved one. The difficulties that the pandemic has unleashed have hampered the joy and celebration which typically accompany the start of a new year. However, these circumstances make giving back all the more important. Although the financial strain of the pandemic has reduced many people’s willingness to donate and it’s difficult to gather for fear of contracting the virus, below are 5 different ways to give back during the holiday season.

1. Be a conscious shopper

Many are excited to participate in holiday shopping, yet they may feel guilty for indulging in an activity that can be difficult for others. However, there are plenty of ethical brands that donate a portion of their earnings to a specific cause. Plus, many of these brands are great to use as stocking stuffers or as gifts to put under the tree. For example, Outerknown is a men’s clothing company that works to save the ocean and Gift of Hope Haiti sells beautiful jewelry that works to break the cycle of poverty for women and children. You can discover more ethical brands here.

2. Buy holiday gifts for children in need

The ability to participate in toy drives might be a lot different than it was for years in the past, since many schools and workplaces are no longer occupied. However, the challenges for many children in poverty or low income families have grown larger during this past year. Luckily, Toys for Tots have created a way to donate virtually. On their website, you can drag different toys into a “virtual bin” and purchase them that way. Another charity is the Prison Angel Tree Fellowship, which gives gifts to children whose father or mother are currently incarcerated. The Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program works with Walmart to provide toys for Christmas morning. Each of these are great programs to donate to–albeit virtually. 

3. Write letters

One of the many negative effects of the pandemic has been the increasing loneliness and anxiety many feel daily. These feelings will likely heighten during these upcoming winter months, with intense feelings of isolation during a time supposed to be about gathering together. Letters Against Depression and Letters for Love are volunteer organizations where you can sign up to write handwritten letters to an anonymous person. These letters seek to provide support to people who need it the most and are a great way to give back during this time.

4. Work for a food bank

Many food bank volunteers are reporting that they are highly understaffed going into the holiday season. Erin Rischawy, a Salvation Army volunteer informed the Pennsylvania Capital-Star that “We are in desperate need of volunteers … in the soup kitchen especially.” Although many fear contracting the virus, food banks have been taking the necessary precautions advised by the CDC. Some food banks have even moved their operations outside and many are delivering food as well. With lines longer than usual, the need for volunteers is incredibly high this year.

5. Reach out to others

Even if you aren’t able to give back during this stressful time, it is still important to check in on those around you; whether you do so through social media, texting, or calling. This year has imbued a heavy strain on almost every American and it’s important to know that you’re not alone. Simply calling a loved one on the phone can brighten their day, as it reminds people that they are loved. Establishing a connection and checking in with somebody close to you can make a huge difference–both to them and yourself.

Brown University, Class of 2023
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.