Volunteering Opportunities for Brown University Students On and Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Being on top of College Hill, it is easy to forget that life exists outside campus. Many of us spend our time walking from classes, the dining halls, and back to our dorms, unable to explore the Providence community. Lucky for you, there are so many organizations on and off campus that allow Brown students to delve head-first into all things Rhode Island. Volunteering accomplishes this goal.

The first question you should ask yourself is, “With what audience do I want to work with?” Do you want to combat homelessness in Providence? Do you want to go weekly to senior homes and spend time with the residents? Do you want to be more active in your career and learn from experience? Choosing a specific population you want to work with will make the experience that much sweeter.

Brown University offers ways to get involved. There are extracurriculars on campus that are community-service oriented. From the Brown Kidney Disease Screening and Awareness Program to Tink Knit, you can find the organization that feels the most right for you. The student activities fair at the start of each semester is a great way to discover what lies within the Brown sphere. Attending DUG events in your concentration or areas you feel passionate about can lead you to find an organization to volunteer with. Certain clubs have yet to receive the title of a student organization making waves in the Providence community, like Food Not Bombs.

Certain courses at Brown are Community-Based Learning and Research experiences. I had the chance to take a class in the Hispanic Studies department that had a volunteering component. I began volunteering with Inspiring Minds as a bilingual classroom aide at a local elementary school and still do to this day. It takes the material you learn in your classes and brings it to life in the most magical way possible.

Volunteering opportunities can also be found off campus. The Swearer Center can steer you in the right direction, following a conversation about your interests. You can browse through the opportunities on BrownEngage or the official Brown website for further orientation. Volunteering at hospitals (Rhode Island Hospital, Bradley, Miriam, Butler, etc.), Clínica Esperanza, or even the courthouse strengthens your ties to the Providence community. I also find that talking with friends can lead you to find volunteer opportunities you would not have otherwise. Ask those questions. Spark those conversations. You never know where it can lead you.

Samantha is a junior from New York City studying Neurobiology. Apart from her work in lab, she enjoys reading, petting the neighborhood dogs, and drinking matcha lattes.