Starting to Plan Your Grad Party? Three Unique Themes That Will Wow Your Guests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With spring semester already underway, it is only natural that we begin to anticipate (and, perhaps, envision) year-end celebrations, namely graduation parties. While I am only a sophomore in college, I readily opt-in to any sort of party planning, to which graduation parties are no exception. Whether you’re in the Class of 2024 from high school or college, you most definitely have something to commemorate and a reason to decorate

1.

My personal favorite is the coffee & bagel bar combination. There are SO many ways to personalize this. From specialized drinks whose names represent an homage to the ensuing chapter of your life or flavored cream cheese that nods to your next geographic destination, the options are endless. This is an ideal theme if you want to host a morning event. Be sure to include an element of sweetness to the spread, such as donut holes that are the colors of your school, your favorite brunch pastries, and fresh fruit platters. 

2.

Themed Cheese Boards… visually reflect on your past four years with four distinctly-curated cheese boards. In honor of each year of school, select appetizer-styled bites that illustrate an element or elements of that particular time. For example, if you happen to play a sport, opt for hockey-stick shaped crackers or softball-styled mozzarella balls. Or, if you traveled abroad, embrace all the culinary traditions of that country on a wooden plate. Feel free to include a didactic statement for each cheese platter, as some specially chosen items may or may not closely symbolize your lived experience.

3.

Bring the adage “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” to life with a lemonade themed party. Sprinkle faux lemon plants and daisies around your tablescape, and prepare a lemonade bar with lemon-themed cups, sparkling options, and multiple flavors of lemonade. This theme translates well from indoors to outdoors, making it perfect for a spring celebration. Incorporate lemon-infused appetizers and treats such as lemon ricotta bruschetta and lemon bars. You can also have fun with the type of cups you have. For a more farm-to-table feel, opt for mason jars with biodegradable yellow straws. For a more personalized touch, opt for personalized lemon cups such as these.

Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.