Spring Weekend Overview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Spring Weekend is finally upon us once again, and in just a few days the majority of Brown will be taking a three day hiatus from homework and studying to absolutely go freaking crazy. The artists scheduled to perform this year are a little more obscure than usual, but never fear – we have the rundown.

Rico Nasty

Rico Nasty is an up-and-coming rapper from Washington, D.C.. Her album Sugar Trap 2 was rated one of the top 40 rap albums of 2017 by Rolling Stone, and she hasn’t disappointed in 2018 – she just recently dropped yet another banger called “Trust Issues.” Rico Nasty’s songs are completely modernized hip-hop with self-described “sugar-trap” elements weaved into her bars. Given that she has a similar energy and eccentricity of Lil Yachty, her performance is sure to be a memorable one.

Check out: Poppin, Key Lime OG, Rick and Morty, and Hey Arnold

Nao

With Rico Nasty, Miguel and The Weeknd-like sounds, artist Nao brings the smooth lyrics and seductive rhythms that every music festival needs. She gained popularity through her synthy R&B beats and dreamy vocals, but her lyrics are what truly make her a standout artist. Nao has a wide variety of sounds, ranging from ballads to pop-funk to slow jams, and this is the type of concert that makes you want to close your eyes and let the music wash over you.

Check out: Bad Blood, Fool to Love, Get to Know Ya, and Nostalgia.

DRAM

Unless you’ve been living under a rock (or in the Rock, for that matter), you’ve definitely heard of DRAM through his infectious hit “Broccoli.” DRAM is a classic new age rapper, boasting heavy bass, low rumble bars, and quirky lyrics that somehow fit perfectly into the more mellow flow of his songs. This show will definitely be the most lit, and since DRAM is a fun and infectious performer you’ll be guaranteed to have a great time.

Check out: Broccoli, Gilligan, Caretaker, and Cash Machine

Rina Sawayama

Rina Sawayama is a Japanese-British artist and a model that first gained popularity in 2017. While her sound can alternate from peppy beats to melancholy low-fi, her signature poppy vibe is almost reminiscent of 90’s R&B, making every tune extremely catchy. Her music feels nostalgic in the best way possible, and although her songs are generally slow you won’t be bored in the slightest.

Check out: Cyber Stockholm Syndrome, Where U are, Tunnel Vision, and Afterlife

Whitney

If you like indie or alternative music, this is definitely a performance you won’t want to miss. Even though they’re only a two-man band, Whitney has gained significant popularity in recent years and has been compared to more established groups such as Twin Peaks and Grizzly Bear. Their muffled vocals, romantic strings and melancholy brass make for easy listening, and this show is expected to have a large turnout.

Check Out: Polly, No Woman, Golden Days, and You’ve Got a Woman

Anderson .Paak

When describing Grammy-nominated Anderson .Paak, versatile is the first word that comes to mind. His songs vary from soul funk to disco grooves to relaxed hip-hop, but they’re all so hype that it doesn’t seem to matter. After he was recently featured on the Black Panther movie album, Anderson .Paak’s popularity skyrocketed to unseen heights, and since then his concerts have been described by fans as a “religious experience.” There’s no question of whether or not this will be an amazing performance and an overall incredible weekend.

Check out: GLOWED UP, Come Down, Am I Wrong, and Bloody Waters

Want to familiarize yourself with the music? Check out our Spring Weekend Playlist on the Brown HerCampus Spotify!

Izzie Henderson is a second-year student at Brown University studying Health and Human Biology. Her interests include women's health, photography, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.